Hold Down Ideas

I built my OneFinity Elite Foreman on a torsion box. On top of that, I put two layers of 3/4 MDF (glued together). I used 3/8-16 Riv nuts press fit under the spoil board. The larger holes let the little bit of sawdust to fall through. When I used 1/4-20 Riv nuts, the sawdust would build up and block the holes. I also drilled through the torsion box so that there was a thru pass at each Riv nut. Now, I use an impact wrench to quickly tighten and loosen my clamps with 3/8-16 bolt. Clean and easy.

1 Like

That’s a good idea of using rivet nuts for hold downs. And good catch on using the larger side to avoid the build up of dust.

Why did you choose to use rivet nuts vs flanged hex drive nuts?

I’m looking at using rivet nuts to change the mounting spacing for my QCW secure from above from the weird dimensions that Onefinity decided on and wanted to see if there was any advantage to using them on the waste board as well.

Hey Don,

usually you would not have wood dust that is not catched by the dust collection system. Wood dust is cancerogenic and many people reported they wish the should have observed that earlier (before getting their lungs destroyed).

I have a similar set up with the addition of bored recesses in the waste board deep enough to countersink the head of a screw (1/4-20 in my case). This allows me to leave the screws in place in all of the holes preventing the dust from clogging them or falling through.

1 Like

I have had an aversion to T-Nuts since I was a very young man. I like the way the Riv nuts fit as pressed in and I feel that I get a more secure fit than trying to drive those spikes into my MDF.

2 Likes