Is it possible to tram X/Y squareness with fixed feet?

You could draw a 3,4,5 triangle and check it for square and true to the bed of the machine? just a thought. or 6",8",10" or ratio there of.

Something like this…

2 Likes

Hey Tom, hey Steven (@sdramer),

sure, that’s what it is. Geometry, instead of Comparing to a Reference Body.

But I find that like many youtube videos, it could be much shorter and denser.

…And if you specifically take the onefinity cnc with its four feet that one wants to put on a table top (i.e. a flat surface), it is much simplier. You wouldn’t even need a meter, just a stick which, by putting marks on it, allows to compare two measures: The one diagonal and the other diagonal, measured like in picture above.(1) When the diagonals are equal, it’s “squared”. The diagonals in a parallelogram differ, the ones in a rectangle don’t.

1.) But you are right, if you measure at the feet, you must be sure that the rail above is at a defined position relative to the foot

If instead, like in the video, you measure at the points where your bit drills a hole or your needle stitches the cardboard, you are the safest. That’s what I’m taking into account with this other method.

I have the same suspicions about my setup as well. I just cut all the holes for my threaded wasteboard, marked reference lines on the table so i could reinstall the wasteboard in the exact position. When I reinstalled it, I moved the bit into a hole in one corner and ran the machine across X to the other side and the bit was about 1/4" off the opposite hole. Kind of of bummer I didn’t somehow check this before hand. I was able to line up my holes running along Y for now. I will try and post some pictures.

I did notice when the machine is homed that the right Y rail stops just a bit before the left side. Lots of good advice and content here for me to try and nail down the issue so I will run through some tests mentioned here. Thanks all for the help!

Many of of us have been there…

I hear you on this point, but consider this.

If the instruction is too drawn out for your level of knowledge you can fast forward and jump to the juicy parts. I have used the right arrow key to jump 5 seconds at a time and skim through sections that I think I know well enough to do so. But later occasionally found myself in full reverse because I missed some critical tidbit of info. DOH!

OTOH, if the video was only a highlight reel, then those who need a little more detail to grasp the information cannot hit the slo-mo button and get that extra detail they need.

2 Likes

Hey Bob,

I’m learning everyday, didn’t know that this is a new word in english. In Germany most movies and series are usually dubbed and here Homer says “Neinn!

2 Likes

Watching dubbed Simpsons when I was in Germany was a trip. The sound of the original voice actors is so distinctive and the German dub is nowhere close but the pacing and jokes were the same. A very jarring juxtaposition.