Journeyman X50 wont square up

Or I could just leave it as is for it works find!

Joe Adams

| Aiph5u User
July 6 |

• | - |

Hey Joseph,

JoeA:

I have the same issue with my X50 the machine is square, but i think my problem is that one side is longer than the other at least that’s what the tape measure shows.

do you mean the distance between the black anodized aluminium extrusion blocks is different on left Y rail than on right Y rail? Then of course comparing the diagonals of the rails themselves makes no sense, since you have neither a parallelogram nor a rectangle then. But the good thing is, if you use a bar gauge like in the method described here, you can use this bar gauge to compare the length of both Y rails first.

If you have different lengths, you could adjust one length to the other by loosening the grub screws on one black anodized extrusion block on one side, and slide the block on the chrome-plated hollow shafts until the distance of the blocks is the same as on the other side (use the bar gauge to check). But the nut a the end of the ball screw will have to be loosened and adjusted too if you move the block! This is described in this support document under point 7) (“End nut adjustment”).

Another method to make the machine square in this case, but without sliding one of these blocks on the hollow shafts, would be to mill a rectangle into the wasteboard, along the outmost edges of the workarea, with the tip of a V-bit with a minimal depth, and then measure the diagonals on this rectangle (e.g. with the bar gauge too).

To “square” the machine then, you loosen the bolts of two opposite Y feet (let’s say, the front feet) and then slightly shift the feet to left or right (with the X axis in the frontmost position), and then retighten the bolts, and repeat everything until the rectangle you mill into the wasteboard has equal diagonals. If you repeat this on the same wasteboard over and over again, and want to avoid to mill into the grooves made earlier, you could create a simple rectangle as a g-code program and make it slightly smaller every turn so you don’t get into the grooves made earlier.