Keeping zero position

Hey JDog,

beautiful fixtures / jigs!

I think reducing the use of the touch probe to only once per bootup period because you have a fixed jig is something that really saves time. I think when using this, it is important that you can ensure accurate positioning and clamping of the workpiece at the jig, I mean the faces would need to be perpendicular and first of all perfectly parallel to machine axes. As Dr-Al mentioned the other day, when you mill the faces of your angular jig with the machine itself, the parallelity to the machine axis is absolutely perfect and reliable.

Another way to achieve positioning repeatability is to retrofit inductive proximity sensors to decommission the stock stall homing. This brings perfect positioning repeatability. With inductive limit sensors, you can rely on the absolute machine coordinates, which means if you want to move to a specific point, you could do that with motion commands and a coordinate, and it would accurately be the same position everytime, even after shutdown or power outage.

A positive side effect of limit sensors is that you can square the machine without unbolting and repositioning main parts of the machine. You can simply move the sensors a bit. Elite Series with Masso G3 Touch use a comparable way to achieve its auto-squaring.

1 Like