Multiple component Datums

411186308_1722451428165077_3881581608015797419_n

Hi All

Anyone carving the multiple components in the same setting, if so I would appreciate any advice on how you are changing the datums between different tools.

I.e Tool 1 carves Component A, then Tool 1 carves Component B, then tool 2 …

Thanks in advance

Regards
Dave

Hi
Do this a lot as i mass produce certain items for various customers
I use Carveco Maker and have up to 5 items on the machine at one time
On my spoil board i have a grid of dog holes which are at known coordinates in Carveco I arrange the components using suitable dog hole coordinates
I create a tool path for each tool type and or operation covering all of the 5 components.
For example
I fix all of the material down
I run tool path 1 such as area clearance across all 5 components
I run tool path 2 profile cutting across all 5 components
Obviously changing the tool between the 2 tool paths if required and only probing on z
Hope this helps, not saying its the best way but it works for me and at times I do 1000 plus of the same item
D

1 Like

Thanks D

I have a similar set up on my waste board and know the offset between the different components, but these can change slightly and I was hoping to use something like a G92 code, but as the machine referencing isn’t a 100% wonered how accurate that would be

Regards
Dave

I have kept away from G92 for that very reason and having fixed points for each component I haven’t had any issues.
I probe XYZ on the first component and that then sets me up for all the others.

D

Yes, I can see your logic, first compnent is probed which eliminated the issues with repeatability of the machine zero and the second component is a fixed distance.

Do you machine the sides of your components , I don’t so everything as to be fairly tight

Dave

Work coordinate offsets should do the trick.

Yes all the components are machined on all 4 sides
I use a profile cut path to cut out a shape similar to a credit card
The material is planned and thicknessed to size rough sanded then fixed to the spoil board using tape and super glue, using this method means that only the 2 faces of the stock are prepared the material is just roughly ripped oversize by 9mm
The probing is only used on the first component on the first tool path run all subsequent components and runs are set by stops using the dog holes as reference

Question is do you need to home the machine between different work offsets and if so the home positioning isn’t accurate enough

But worth a trial run I think

Only home when i boot the machine
Probe XYZ for first component then run all day without rehoming

1 Like

Only need to home on startup. Homing also is immaterial as long as you zero properly at the start of each batch.