Physical emergency stop button?

I am thinking of adding a emergency stop button that connects to the OF controller via the Breakout Board (Pin 23). I find fumbling with my 10" display is a bit slow when things get exciting.

Looking for insights from someone who has done this? What switch did you use? Is it simply a momentary switch?

The controller switch just cuts power.
You could do something like this.

I donā€™t know about the breakout board.

Iā€™m not talking about cutting primary power. Iā€™m talking about replicating the emergency stop button on the controller display by using pin number 23 on the breakout board.

Hi Alan - looks like e-stop is pin 23.

I got an estop from Amazon but Iā€™m not happy with the action; itā€™s far too soft and Iā€™m concerned it might be pushed by accident. If you have a safe place for button that it wonā€™t get pushed by accident, it should work fine for you though.

-Tom

1 Like

Tom,
Yes, it is pin 23. I think it works by simply grounding the pin momentarily.

The switch you linked looks like a locking switch that is released by twisting it. I have several of those in my shop on other equipment. Did you give this switch a try?

I am thinking a ā€œmomentaryā€ switch is needed but I am not certain. That is where I am looking for experience. Does simply giving pin 23 5 volts momentarily get you the EStop? Does giving 5 volts again get you the release? In other words, the same action as the touchscreen?

Hi Alan - I purchased it and played round with it, but I never connected it. It is easy to push down and ā€œengageā€. I was looking for something with a little more resistance that requires a good ā€œslapā€ to depress and lock.

My understanding is you just need to momentarily ground the estop pin. Based on the schematics, all the IO are 3.3v only, so never apply 5 even if the signal is active high. All the IO seem to have pull up resistors and decoupling capacitors so you donā€™t need to actively drive it - only ground it and let it ā€˜floatā€™ high.

I really wish they isolated the pins on the connector from the microprocessor so you donā€™t fry it if something goes wrong, but they didnā€™t. Iā€™m thinking about creating an interface board that properly isolates the signals and protects the uC a little more.

-Tom

1 Like

Thanks Tom,
I will dig into schematics. I assume theyā€™re in the Buildbotics manual/documentation.

Yes, that breakout board is crowded and could be a bit risky if exposed or treated badly by mistake.

Thanks for the help!
Alan

Buy yourself a proper estop button. example estop button