Spindle troubleshooting

OK, a first for me… Was getting ready to cut a jig/cuts for repetitive laser engraving for a new activity and all of a sudden when I try to kick off the job the spindle does not turn on and nothing runs… When I manually try to turn on the spindle in the MDI section it attempts to spin up but just makes this slight ticking sound and moves slightly back and forth.

Any ideas. The G-code appears to be correct and I ran a single cut on it earlier. The VFD parameters are the same as I have always had. Before I tear anything down if this is simply and loose solder connection in the aircraft controller, or maybe my spindle just died all of a sudden.

I don’t mind doing the troubleshooting but wanted to see if anyone had a similar problem in the past before I start dismantling everything. Also, considering buying an air-cooled version as a spare. I have a Makita adapter, but that would mean moving the z axis back down so I can reach the work piece and then the time consuming portion of retramming.

Let me know if you have had something similar.

Thanks,

Dean

Hey Dean,

If it makes a noise but doesn’t turn, one of the three phases may have no contact or be shorted. You can however easily damage the spindle if only two phases are connected. I strongly recommend not to use these “aircraft connectors” and specifically not to solder spindle connectors. Spindle connectors are usually crimped. I always recommend to buy the spindle cable from the spindle manufacturer. All reputable spindle manufacturers offer this. If you have a cheap, no-name spindle with such an aircraft connector for DIY assembly, I recommend to buy a ready-to-use spindle cable from PwnCNC instead. You have support then.

Also when correctly crimped you get a cold-welded connection, which is stronger than any soldered connection and protects the copper strands by eliminating any air between them, so good against corrosion.

1 Like

Thanks. I ended up just going back and validating all of the connections and testing for continuity and voltage for each pin and now all of a sudden in works again… At least I did not have to tear the spindle completely apart…

FYI… According to PWNCNC they are soldering to the same style aircraft connector I have, so the only advantage would be that something “might” be warrantied for a short period of time… I have bought several other things from Daniel and have been very pleased, but in this case I was happy to try it myself. I did the soldering myself about 2 1/2 years ago when I first put on the spindle. I am no expert in soldering, but I am very comfortable doing those types of tasks… I was hoping that was not the issue, but even if it was that would be better than having to wait on replacing a whole new motor…

PS. I am not to a point where I can purchase a commercial ATC spindle, but one day will and will go with a commercial type one at that time…

Thanks again Aiph5u.

1 Like

Hey Dean,

I know. I never had one of those PwnCNC spindle cables in my hands but I think that Daniel @PwnCNC has a lot of experience with soldering, surely more than the usual buyer of a cheap chinese spindle. Also if people buy at PwnCNC, they have warranty and support, which you usually don’t have if you buy from China and have such a connector and a piece of wire in your hands.

1 Like

Hey Dean,

I hope the cause was not a “cold” soldering joint, otherwise the issue will reappear again. The reason I don’t recommend soldering to the inexperienced is also that for strong contacts with high mass, you really need a strong soldering station with at least 80 W and thermal sensor. A too weak and unregulated soldering iron can easily lead to “cold” soldering joints.

By the way, for good electrical contact on non-gold-plated connectors, you can put a bit of KONTAKT 61 on them. This prevents oxidation on tin-plated connectors.

2 Likes

We are more than happy to support folks who are interested in DiY.
We even offer our hard-to-find VFD side connectors for DiY’ers: Spindle Connectors – PwnCNC

3 Likes