Spindle/Z Slider dropping / Spindle drop down on Poweroff/Estop (Elite Series)

Do you have a link, or keyword to further investigate

This is one from Teknic - https://teknic.com/products/spring-applied-power-off-brakes/NEMA-23-brake/
It is for a 3/8” input/output shaft - not sure if that is compatible. I have seen others though - I will see if I have a link saved.

2 Likes

There are Asian suppliers of Nema 23 closed loop steppers with electric brake, but they typically come with a separate driver - easy to install with Masso, but would not be as plug and play.

1 Like

Yeah… is that .06" too small to make the male grab and too big to make the female not fit… that is the question

1 Like

Plug n play is kinda irrelevant to me. Since it goes to bare wire to female plug to male plug to female plug to male plug to bare wire to motor (add one more female/male plug for y1/x i think).

I’m fine with some fabribobbling as long as their labeled. I’m already aware and I’ve priced shielded 18-2 at home depot at around $0.30/ft which is the same wire i use for my probe.

1 Like

Your search inspired me to look again…
I found this.
I’m not a pro on power consumption and wiring per-sey but if i wire one to power/estop (like inline wire clip) and one to ground it should work… right???

https://www.automation4less.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=MPC023-24-CRI

That was one other suppliers I had found, but again it will depend on the shafts you have. Others, like those made by Nexen, can be much more sophisticated - and expensive - but also offer other features.

For our use case I think the spring-engaged/non-excited type brakes are a good choice, but are slower to activate and run hotter than some other permanent magnet types. Although I did not do this, I have read that the heat can be reduced by using a lower voltage to the brake after it has been activated (the greatest voltage is required when first producing the magnetic field in the coil - less to hold it).

As far as wiring. I think you are correct in that it is as simple as supplying power from the source that makes the most sense for the functionality you want. I have mine wired to/controlled by a Masso relay module controlled by the ES output. I don’t recall if I added a flyback diode to this circuit (I did on my pneumatic solenoids for my ATC spindle), as it connects to a relay not directly to the controller output, but I have read that adding a diode helps with the life of the small relay contacts.

The only thing I would consider with this type of solution is the possibility of added backlash. I have not researched this, but it is one reason I chose to use a stepper motor with integrated brake. It also adds extra Z height which I imagine for some using enclosures may become a consideration.

Which stepper with integrated brake did you get?

When i said 400, that’s what i was expecting. Then i would transfer my current z motor to storage till i get a rotary.

My biggest hesitation is the 7lbs. I have the pwn 80mm 1500w water cooled which weighs ~12lbs Pwncnc kb on motors. Currently the motor holds it… usually… but usually isn’t always and I’ve already chucked 2x vbits and an ⅛" shank 1/16" endmill. Not concerned about the endmill, but the vbits can get expensive.

After looking at the different types, i am a fan of the spring loaded because it only consumes power when it’s on, if power is cutoff the spring is activated. I don’t know what that means in terms of life span/cycle.

Everything about the brake seems to compliment, but like i said that 7lb limitation is a cork screw. 7 lbs + what the motor does naturally… or 7 lbs all together ie won’t accomplish the mission.

I’ve already tightened my grub screw and it did minimize its occurance slightly, but amplified its drop speed.

Hey Chris,

the new Z-20 “Heavy Duty” assembly not only changes from a 16 mm diameter ball screw to a 20 mm diameter ball screw, but also the “travel-per-rev” setting from “4” to “10”. So a solution possibly could also be a less steeper ball screw, more like the older model. Such ball screws are standard parts.

1 Like

This is the one I chose as I wanted the highest torque I could find to match the motor I currently have (not a Masso or 1F):

My ATC spindle alone is ~8kg (~18 lbs) and my setup works flawlessly.
The brake does not need to hold much mechanically - this brake solution may not work if we were trying to stop a 100kg gantry travelling at 6m/min.
I got it, because as you mention, even though the spindle drop at times can be slow, the cost of one of my small specialty end mills would pay for the motor.

1 Like

Thanks for the validation… obviously tax would likely be different based on your local jurisdiction… they charged shipping, then a residental shipping surcharge… that’s a new one on me.

That’s not unheard of - some carriers (UPS for example) charge a different rate for residential vs commercial deliveries. The theory is that residential deliveries are less efficient - they’re spread out more, may not have someone to sign if required, may be in a dicey area where there is a greater chance of package theft, etc.

1 Like

It being a second charge was what i was referring to more so. Makes sense, but i hadnt seen it on a receipt before now.

Either way after I have it installed and test it I’ll report back to everyone on my findings

Standby for confirmed proof, but initially it seems to do its job. I just need to hook it into power

Not sure if it is something I am doing but I can not view your video.

Interesting…
I just got the brake in the mail, and only put it on the z without the motor, and was really leaning into it to and couldnt move the z (loosened up my grub screw too).
In the process of wiring it up now, just need to remind myself. I think i it was estop and ground but making sure before i t-splice the wrong wire

Video demonstration is too long (big) to add.
I added a manual switch, i wanted a momentary off but the depot only had a momentary on (I really miss radioshack)

I’m sorry, but Mark Zuckerberg has not agreed to the terms and conditions for the use of my personal information. But why are you uploading this to a gated community?

Why don’t you simply upload the video to your personal webspace? Usually if you have an ISP, you also have webspace (at least I always got some with every internet access provider), which means, some 100 MB to GB of storage space directly accessible from the WWW

I thought i could share a post from the 1f group.

I got the brake to work, i was over thinking it, and it can’t be connected to the Estop like i thought it would be able to… but it works

Hey, can you check on the Masso forum regarding your wiring. I believe they warn against using the aux power terminals for anything but logic level. Also, they warn about using them for inductive loads on the Estop circuit (WARNING: It is critical that inductive loads such as Motor brakes and Relays are not connected directly to the E-Stop button circuit as doing so will cause damage to the E-Stop circuit. If you need to operate a brake or similar please connected it via the ES output using the MASSO Relay Module.) which may also apply to the aux power circuits, but I am only guessing as to the similarity of these two circuits internally on the board. Better to check with them just in case.

1 Like