Stringy Cuts In Walnut

A couple things from my walnut experience, too small a bite leads to either a stringy mess clogging dust collection or a wave of fuzz being relentlessly built along the top of the cut (with an upcut bit.)

If the DOC is too much to take the WOC needed, I go shallower…1/2 bit width. For the 1/8” I was using today, I did 1/16 DOC,40% diameter WOC. feeding fusion .004 chip load and 17000 RPM it calculates IPM for me, IIRC 136 IPM. When I run 1/4 upcut, I rough 1/4” DOC, 80% *1/4” WOC, 20K rpm, .004 chip load and whatever IPM fusion spits out. My makita has not bogged down, onefinity has not skipped steps. If I get chatter I drop rpm, keep chipload, and let fusion calculate IPM. If it gets worse, I go the other way upping rpm. More often than not, higher rpm and IPM works better.

I get the fuzzies when I reduce load usually because I can’t clamp the stock in a reliable way (today doing a 1” x2” strip of blue tape holding base sideways & unsupported)

I get you might not want to push for the chart’s answer for chip load. Consider increasing width of cut and see if it helps at whatever rpm/chipload/IPM you’re using now.

Also, the charts I’ve seen say they are based on DOC @ bit diameter. So it’s not part of the formula because it is baked into the charts. Some also have a derating if going deeper.

1 Like