To Epoxy, or Not to Epoxy?

Hi,

Being a novice in this field I won t advise about the spécifications and benefits of it, simply to feedback that I used fractionnated coconut oil for my cutting boards, and I m quite happy with it.

My préférence is based on the point its organic and not from oil, It s not smelling, stable and dry fast.

I ll compare once with linseed oil, I ve heard it s a good option as well.

Cheers
Stefano

Well, I really had to slow down and reread a ton. I do believe I should have some sort of certificate after processing all of this :grinning:. You are all awesome, and I appreciate all this info!

2 Likes

Hey, @LostInTheGarage , one thing that I’m surprised no one brought up while discussing epoxy on a cutting board is that the whole point of a WOODEN cutting board is that it not only is easier on your knives but also is much better at defeating bacteria than plastic ( or epoxy). This is because most cuts in wood ‘heal’ or close up whereas plastic slices and leaves narrow valleys, a perfect home for bacteria. As far as goes finishes, I used to fret about food safe products until I realised that once dry, almost any finish is inert, food safe and and fit for purpose.

3 Likes

Hey Charles,

more than that, wood seems to have antiseptic properties.

Aviat et al.: Microbial Safety of Wood in Contact with Food: A Review
Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety
Volume 15, Issue 3 First published: 26 February 2016

https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12199

1 Like

I agree 100% with Matt and would never use epoxy on a cutting board, and he is also right about problems with wood, aging etc., however:

on (rare) occasions CNC efforts, wood and epoxy look pretty good.

3 Likes

That looks really cool!