Thinking outside the box (table)

This is my 1st project on my Onefinity. I first want to create a couple more projects like these before installing the waste board. I couldn’t find anyone else having this kind of setup, so here it is.
The reason behind this is, we have a couple of logs outside that we use as small upright tables. But all of them are uneven, and just not flat, so your beer may tilt and fall off. So I figured the Onefinity would be the perfect machine to flatten these logs, maybe create a picture as well while we’re at it. Make a little inlay for a glass top, and then it would be a perfect leveled flat table that looks awesome!

(can only load 1 picture according to the forum page, sorry)
So I just made a wedge for the log, and use 2 straps top and bottom to pull it into the wedge.
I took a photo from the top, digitized the outline, and surfaced the shape of the log. I have a video but I cannot upload videos here.

(can only load 1 picture according to the forum page, sorry)
Then after it was flat/surfaced, I just took a vector of a frog, made it 3d, and started with roughing, and finished with a finishing toolpath.

Since this was my first project, I will next time use different bits, and even finer passes to have smoother finishes.

I am very happy with my Onefinity.
PS: I did some hacking on the touchscreen to rotate the display and the touch orientation so I can have my cables run on the left side of the screen.

20 Likes

Cables on the left side of the screen??? How?? :astonished:

Hey Bill,

this way:

Cables on the left side of the screen

Recommended article:

How To Flip 10.8” Touchscreen 180 degrees

1 Like

Yes that is what I did. I followed another “how-to” which was shorter, but essentially does the same. I wouldn’t advise doing this if you are a novice in linux and/or programming.

That’s a super job on the log cutoff. Now I want to change my whole machine setup :laughing:

Hehehe thanx JimHatch. Maybe get another Onefinity and have that one set up for log work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Philip “from my timezone” @beukesphilip :slight_smile:,

welcome to the forum!

I find what you have created here with your machine particularly tasteful and interesting. I like it very much.

You got more than 10 likes with your first posting!

By the way, with the last post you reached Trust Level 1 (“Basic”). For reaching this, you had to

• Enter at least 5 topics
  • Read at least 30 posts
  • Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts

Now you can:

• Use all core Discourse functions; all new user restrictions are removed
  • Send PMs
  • Upload images and attachments if enabled
  • Edit wiki posts
  • Flag posts
  • Mute other users

You see, the restrictions quickly go away if you continue to use the forum.

When you wrote you cannot upload all the pictures (which was because on the beginning, you had only Trust Level 0 (“New”)), I think of course many of us were eager to see your machine setup too :slight_smile: Now you can… :wink:

I would really like to see it too!

No problem. Should I just post some pics at the bottom, or is it possible to edit my 1st post and add them there?

You can do that. The Discourse controls are based on the current time/days not the original post date/time.

Ok so here is the rest of my story…
Below are 2 sketchup illustrations of how I made my setup. I made a jig to wedge the log tight, by using some pine, steel rods, a chain and 2 straps top and bottom. The chain prevents the jig to open up all the way as I’m tightening the straps…thus pulling the log nice and snug into the wedge and securing it.
The log’s weight is not held in place by the jig, its supported underneath by the table frame and some spacers. The table has castors so I can move the table around if needed.

Now for some live shots:
The table was made for another cnc I was busy building from scratch, but as you can see the Onefinity 50X fits nicely. The table frame is made from square and rectangular tubing. The frame is just painted with random cans of spray paint I had laying around (to use them before they expire)

This is just a view from the top before surfacing it.

Here is a short video of the surfacing in action. Excuse the mess on the floor, its an extremely small room and theres no more space anywhere else.
I had to use online tools to shorten the video to 8mb otherwise I couldn’t upload.
As you can see, the surfacing is following the shape of the log, that is because I took a photo from the top, digitized it in Vectric Aspire, and scaled it to the size of the actual log. This way I could focus on only the size and shape of the log for whatever I wanted to do.
Yeah I know my cabling is a mess, I’m in the process to make my own drag chain with my laser cutter…already made smaller ones for a robot chess machine, so I know my drag chain design would work.

After the surfacing, I took a silhouette picture of a frog. Used the software’s built in function to vectorize it, rotate and scaled it to fit the log’s shape. Then made a 3D model of the vector. I first made a roughing toolpath with a 6mm end mill bit.
Here I was already so excited of what the Onefintity can do, I stood there the whole time staring at the carving as the frog’s ‘rough’ shape started to emerge.

I then went ahead and made a smoothing toolpath with a 3mm end mill bit. Which later I saw I could have refined a bit. But for now this was freagin awesome!

I was very happy with my first cut, and even something totally different than what I’m used to seeing on the internet.
As you can see, the edges of the frog could be smoother. This was because of my input picture was a bit pixelated.

After I was done, I flipped it around and leveled the underside the same way.
Now onto my next log project…

8 Likes

Thinking outside the box indeed! I’m looking forward to seeing your next project too!

1 Like

Great documentation and problem solving and fantastic to see a unique use. Keen to see what’s next.

That looks great. Really creative use of the machine there without a standard table bottom.

An alternative to glass on top could be to fill it with epoxy. I know some people hate the stuff, but in this case it could look really cool with some pebbles or even a lilly pad cast into the top with clear epoxy. Added bonus of sealing up the cracks and perfectly safe for keeping outside.

1 Like

Hey Eric,

yep. I found it crazy to see how many people use it, seemingly without much hesitation, especially hobbyists, as if it weren’t harmful, which it is in both manufacture and application. Epoxy is made with Bisphenol A and Epichlorohydrin.

What I think is, why would I use epoxy resin when there exists polyurethane casting resin?

@beukesphilip Philip, I would like a glass cover :slight_smile:

Polyurethane > Health and safety

Fully reacted polyurethane polymer is chemically inert. No exposure limits have been established in the U.S. by OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) or ACGIH (American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists). It is not regulated by OSHA for carcinogenicity.

– Source: Polyurethane > Health and safety

Epoxy Resin > Protective equipment during application

Since direct skin contact is considered to be far more harmful than, for example, intake via the respiratory tract (e.g. due to insufficient ventilation), personal protective equipment is required when using many epoxy products. Only special nitrile or butyl, butyl/Viton and PE laminate gloves are suitable for skin protection. Thin disposable gloves are unsuitable regardless of the material (e.g. latex, vinyl or nitrile). The allergenic substances penetrate these gloves within a few minutes without being damaged, while the skin’s own protection is weakened by sweating with a lack of ventilation. Skin protection ointments also do not offer acceptable protection. It may also be necessary to wear a protective suit.

– Source: Epoxy Resin > Safety and Health

yes, but the frog here is rather one that walks outside the water than one that swims :wink:

Phrynosequence_bodyFoR2
– Source: Henry Astley, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Frog_žába
– Source: Ervín Pospíšil, CC BY-SA 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Hey Philip,

your machine build is great.

How are the steel profiles connected? Screwed or welded? If the former, I would add a few diagonal braces for torsional stiffness.

Hi @Aiph5u, all the steel is welded together, I didn’t feel comfortable in using screws or bolts for the frame. Only the Onefinity is bolted down.
I already got a request from my gardener. He brought me a similar size log, and wants an ash tray with a picture in it. So its going to look the same as the frog project, just a different picture, and perhaps 4 indents on the sides for the cigarette.

2 Likes

Development of epoxy sensitivity due to continued or over-exposure to uncured resin can pose a very real health risk, and I’m glad to see people warning each other. Once a body becomes sensitized to it, allergic reactions can result from even small exposures. Breathing dust particles from sanding partially-cured epoxy can place you at risk for severe health issues if they become trapped in your lungs. Spraying uncured resin is considered a severe potential risk, so you’ll typically see strong manufacturer warnings against it. Some products are even labeled non-toxic when used as directed, but read the warnings that accompany the application. So thanks for letting people know.

2 Likes

Hey Philip,

ah, this is good. I finally decided to weld a machine base too. I think I could make something very strong with massive wood, i.e. dampened beech, but with welding steel profiles you get to a result quicker. Unfortunately I cannot start building it immediately due to other things in life :frowning:.

an ash tray, how sad. I lost a close relative to cancer due to cigarette smoking (awful last monthes in life - still very bad prognosis today). Realizing how stupid smoking is often comes too late :frowning: And a gardener. The luck of being at the fresh air by profession, and then this. Argh!

I have known more than one gardener, two were close friends. Usually gardeners are people with much freedom, it seems staying in the green opens the mind.

But that your log art pleases people does not surprise me at all!

It’s still friggin awesome! Quite a clever approach and an amazing result.

I’m thinking perhaps getting a WW since the work size for logs won’t generally exceed a WW’s footprint. That way I’d have one dedicated for these kinds of deep vertical carvings & dovetails, etc. The JM could stay nice and stable and trammed properly for everything else.

I can’t believe I’m considering adding another CNC to the shop :laughing:

2 Likes

Hey Jim,

and then with both cars outside you’d add another garage :grinning: