Thinking outside the box (table)

I hear you, and agree about the consequences in smoking. I myself don’t smoke at all. But here in SA we have a huge cultural diversity and since the recreational use of cannabis were legalized, even more people started smoking. It is very sad that only a handful are trying to live healthy etc.

Yeah the other thing, if you have a long enough bit, you can flip the log upside down and carve feet/legs which would make it look even better. Then it could be a chair for outside.

You can also make a bird bath by carving a bowl, and then attaching a longer log on the bottom by pocketing a big hole, and create that same profile on the 2nd log. Then the 2 pieces could be glued perfectly together. I just don’t know yet how to seal the water bowl.

I’m constantly thinking of random stuff to make.

2 Likes

Log end carving…Outstanding and Creative!
I’m sure you have designed a tabletop by now. I did not know about the forum before making a tabletop. All I knew was, I needed a pit for dovetails and mortises. I have a pit and clamping system that so far, has worked well. I think my pit will allow space for your creative log carving.
(Me learning software is another matter…)

I’m anxious to give it a try…on my list of things to do.

IMG_5163

7 Likes

@WmColl46 That’s a pretty neat setup. If you can incorporate 2x V shapes (top and bottom to wedge the log into), and 4x slots for straps to go through behind that wall with the clamp holes, then you can easily put a log in there. Just have it stand on spacers or a car jack or something.
This is kinda what I had in mind for when I want to move on to installing my table top/waste board.
Your work room is nice and tidy too. Its an inspiration for people like me to keep things organized.
Good work!

Hey William,

I find it interesting that you build a table that combines two properties of a table that both showed to be desirable among forum members: The flippable table design for saving space when not in use and the vertical workpiece mounting option for making dovetail and other joints for cases and drawers parts.

The only other combination of both that I remember was this one.

In your first picture above it is obvious you could have made the opening in the table much deeper until workpieces are limited by the transversal brace of the rolling base:

What are the dimensions of your opening actually? Are you able to make all drawers sides or did you already have the case where your opening was not wide enough?

1 Like

Actually there will be room in the new shop :smiley:

1 Like

Hey Jim,

I have had the opportunity to notice that you are doing good things. You should definitely have adequate space for a good workshop. Hope I can make the move to a new place soon too.

And it could make sense to have one more cnc machine. Often one can have different requirements at same time. E.g. I think a machine for metal definetely should be a different machine, if only because workpiece mist cooling is not compatible with wasteboards made of wood.

Also a machine for machining tops of logs could be the same as one that is made for milling face sides of longer parts that are too long for vertical clamping, i.e. a vertical machine for workpieces clamped in a horizontal position (which could therefore be of infinite length then)

1 Like

That’s an intriguing idea. I’ll have to noodle that a bit.

The manufacturer of my plasma CNCs just announced a new milling machine (Langmuir’s MR-1). Similar capabilities as a Tormach for a pretty decent price. I could get one & another 1F for what I was going to have to spend on a Tormach.

Hey Jim,

just went through specs, really interesting, for that price!

1 Like

Could I ask, what product you used to seal the MDF top on your table? (Im assuming it is MDF, from the pictures).

It looks great, for so many reasons.

Likely a polyurethane I had on hand. Yes, MDF……like you, I saw some else do the same and liked it. That MDF really soaks the stuff up! Good luck…

1 Like

appreciate the reply. It seems like I’d be skipping a step if I built a torsion box and left it raw, susceptible to moisture.

I love your table and the design. It incorporates everything that I have been looking for in a cnc table. May I ask what you used for the central axle on your table and how you mounted it? If you have plans, would you be willing to share them? I would be more than willing to buy them.

Hi James, would be happy to share. I’m half way across the country visiting granddaughter. I have some early photos on the iPad but will be home in about a week and can provide more details. Let’s see if the iPad will allow a photo.
Notes….the wood I used is recycled library shelves, ignore tiny lines of holes here and there.

2 Likes

Brilliant, and thanks for all the details!

William,

Thank you, for sharing your knowledge and experience. The pictures above are very helpful. I was wondering about the holes. I think I saw them in the base of your table and thought at the time, “I wonder what purpose they serve? Everything else is so well thought out they must have a purpose which is not obvious” :grinning: What great wood to build a table like this.

Enjoy your time with your granddaughter and I look forward to learning more when you return.

Again, thank you.

James