Tool setter question (answered with video)

if i purchase tool setter i use the top of the waste boards as zero. will toolsetter zero all my tools including first one automatically?

The tool setter will use the first tool you install and zero to establish the same offset for the next tool you install when your g-code calls for a tool change.

1 Like

So if i zero tool setter to top of waste board it will always know where zero is?

Whatever you put in the f1 screen settings will be what the machine always goes to to set the tool offset using the tool setter. It doesn’t matter what your CAD file says (top or bottom of material).

1 Like

The tool setter will be relative to the previous tool, if you zero the first tool to the waste board, when you install the next tool it will measure it and will be the same zero point. Since the tool can be installed with varying stick out from the collet, it’s not possible to measure them once and store it in a tool table.

1 Like

If I zero tool will it remember when I load new program

Your zero point won’t change until you power off the unit or set it to a new zero point, if you load a new program it will be retained.

How do I preserve the 4x4 cutting capacity with the tool changer. Do I need to change the soft limits so that I can place the tool setter at the far end (I have the QWC table).

So my tool setter is on the QWC frame from Onefinity but my spoil boar is about 1.5 inches thick. Will this create an issue? Should I put the tool setter so it sits higher than spoilboard?

I have the tool setter setup per the installation video but it does not light up when pressed as it does in the video.

Battery shows to be good

It sounds like you’ve already opened the tool setter up if you were able to confirm that the battery inside is good. Make sure the led is facing the window on the front of the tool setter or you won’t be able to see it light up.

1 Like

I did open it and switch the board around so the wire is on the other side, and checked the battery while I was there.

The installation video said if you mount it and the light is facing where you can’t see it, open it and turn the board around to move the wire to the other side. I mounted it on the right front and the light was facing the back, I could have turned it around and the wire would have been on the left side of the setter.

I didn’t think about the led moving to the other side with the board and not being able to be seen anymore. I guess I need to put it back and fasten the wire to the table where it runs back in front of the setter?

Switched the board and the led is definitely on the side facing the window, still does not light up when top pressed down.

Now when I turn the Masso on it wants me to home the machine. When I do it homes Z,X,Y, then runs to the tool setter, smashes it down and stops there, then Masso starts to flash homing error. There is no bit in the spindle, I am just turning it on.

If you have the tool setter enable, you will always need a bit in when homing.

Don’t flip the board, just route the wire out the other side.

Understood on those two things, thank you.

Why does the light not work? I think saw somewhere that the setter works even if the light is not working?

I have the 1F tool setter and when I first installed it the light worked, now the light does not work but the tool setter works fine, not sure the value of the light anyway other than testing but you can see that in the F1 screen as well.
Pat

Leader why do we need to run to the tool setter during homing? Can this not just be the first thing you
do when you start a job? As others have said we do not like to keep bits in the spindle and my first bit goes in after I complete the homing and get to my tool loading position then zero then start job.

2 Likes

I still cannot get the machine to home since I installed the tool setter. It does Z, X, Y, tool setter; presses the tool setter down and freezes with a Z error. Have to turn it off and back on to move the spindle off the tool setter.

I just installed the Elite upgrade so I am new to Masso, but this should not be difficult.

I followed the OF installation video linked in this topic, other than actually turning the board around as mentioned in the video, what am I doing wrong?

Are there other settings I need to adjust?

If I disable the tool setter it homes fine.

Does the tool setter input on the F1 page change state when you push down on it? If you’re not seeing anything, neither is the Masso controller. At that point, it could be a wiring issue, bad connector, broken tool setter, etc.

It said yes when I installed it but I will check again, you never know unless you look.

Thanks