Upgrade to an ATC: Trick your CNC Out

Here’s the latest in the Trick Your CNC Out series. This time, I cover the PwnCNC ATC.

If you have the PwnCNC ATC or are thinking about it, check it out. I mention my favorite feature and the three issues I had, along with their solutions.

4 Likes

I think anyone who invests in equipment they know little about ‘should’ do the research! Good video! The ATC is on my ‘get’ list, just did not want to invest the $2500 until i got familiar with my set up.

1 Like

So i tried to purchase the tool change spindle w/o the tool change electronics to do manual changes with the hand control air unit, but Pwn said they dont sell it that way. Based on your comment to do a tool set every time theres a tool change, then the mechanical change is not beneficial. I think they should sell the spindle motor for the tool holders and air conrol separate. My interest was to set my tools and not have to calibrate them every time. The offset info is stored in the masso and only needs recalibration when the cutter is changed in the holder. What do you think?

Hmm… I’m not sure I’m following you. I think you’d need the ATC spindle and tool holders… and you need need the VFD to control the spindle and the PE to control the pneumatics. At that point, you pretty much have everything to run it as a full ATC.

Was there a specific part you were hoping you wouldn’t have to buy?

1 Like

That’s what I tried to order - the atc spindle and 6 tool holders, requesting the pneumatic manual control. I wanted to do the tool changes manually after each cut cycle, but did not want to have to tool set at the tool change each time. Once you set the tool number to the cutter it does not change, just the offset based on material thickness variables.

I think you could buy the ATC and use it that way if you wanted to. You just wouldn’t assign a slot to the tools. The Masso would then just asking you swap the tools and I don’t know why you couldn’t skip to tool setter with that setup. I’m not sure why you wouldn’t want to do it automatically though. That’s a huge benefit.