What is needed to wire up 2.2kw 220v Spindle and VFD?

Hey David,

as I tried to explain above, to support your Hitachi S1 VFD on your Onefinity Controller, you just need to create a custom ModBus VFD in the Tool Configuration Tab. You insert these settings:

CommandAddressValueComment
max-freq-read 3 0 Read max operating frequency in 0.01Hz
freq-set 8193 0 Set frequency in 0.01Hz
freq-read 12288 0 Read frequency with 0.01Hz
fwd-write 8192 1 Run forward
rev-write 8192 2 Run reverse
stop-write 8192 5 Stop
status-read 8448 0 Read status
disconnect-write 8192 5 Stop on disconnect
disable

and then you check that in your VFD, the settings match the following:

Notes

Set the following using the VFD's front panel.

Address Value Meaning Description
P00.01 2 MODBUS control Run command channel
P00.06 8 Frequency set by MODBUS Frequency command selection
P14.00 1 Drive ID Must match #[tt bus-id] above
P14.01 3 9600 BAUD rate Must match #[tt baud] above
P14.02 3 No parity, 8 data bits, 2 stop bits, RTU mode Communication mode

Other settings according to the Galt G200 VFD manual

and you should be done. After having wired the pin “485+” on your VFD to pin 13 on the Onefinity 25-pin I/O port and pin “485-” to pin 14 using a twisted pair cable, you should get an “OK” on the “ModBus status” field.

Explanation: Every VFD that supports ModBus communication protocol should have a chapter in its technical documentation that describes the addresses and data that it uses to receive commands from the CNC controller over the serial line or to report its condition or errors back in the other direction. In your VFD manual, you find them under “Chapter 9 Communication protocol”. Every VFD should have such a description. Unfortunately, they are not standardized. But with this documentation, you can tell the Onefinity Controller which code is used for let the spindle run, let it stop, set the speed, report the speed, etc., by entering the values found in the VFD documentation. The values in the table I gave you above are the values your VFD uses, they were just translated from hexadecimal to decimal. If you enter them the way it is described under Custom ModBus VFD, your Onefinity Controller will be able to communicate with your VFD.

This is the advantage when buying the VFD from the spindle manufacturer.

This is not necessary since it is the other way around: You don’t tell the VFD about the Onefinity, but you tell the Onefinity about the VFD. You have to tell the Onefinity Controller the ModBus addresses that the VFD uses, and this is what I provided you with the values in the table above.

1 Like