What "wood" you use?

Hi guys!

Im hoping you could guide me in the right direction here as to what you would use for a simple project like this? (See image)

The customer basically wants a similar design to this but not painted, just plain wood and with black lettering. Im thinking something like premium grade Ply, maybe 7mm thick? I don’t really know much yet about what timber to use for small items like this. Just starting out really…

Appreciate your help and feedback! :slight_smile:

With plywood, the edges can sometimes look a little tacky and unprofessional. If I were to make it, I’d be using tight-grain wood like hard maple, cherry, or birch. I’m interested to see what others will say as well.

4 Likes

Another vote for solid hardwood. Maple or cherry would look good with black lettering. You could go with something darker like walnut and use white lettering.

3 Likes

Another vote for solid maple or cherry. Would look really nice with that design and both woods just glow when you add an oil finish.

1 Like

When I’m using cherry maple walnut Etc it’s to keep the wood grain look but when I’m painting the wood I’ll use selected Pine it carves really good of course I would use a wood conditioner before painting

2 Likes

Thanks very much for the feedback guys! I think we will be ditching the Ply on this one. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to something like Maple or Cherry at the moment. What I do have is Hevea which is a very light-colored wood and I reckon the black lettering should look very nice on that.

I have done a couple of (internal) signs with this on the laser using 3mm Acrylic together with engraved lettering that I color-filled.

This is a mockup of what they are looking for and what it could look like:

So the name in Acrylic at the top will change for each cross (27 in total) and the rest is exactly the same.

The next part in all of this is the tricky bit because I have not done a single cut or carving on my machine yet! I will have to spend the next few days on Youtube to get my head around where to start.

But that is typical of me! I never say no to something new I know I can learn to do. But in saying that, please feel free to offer any advice on where to start because I really have no idea. I have about two weeks to get this done and dusted.

Thanks again!!

looks good, give update please

1 Like

Will do!

I just got my machine set up tonight and powered it up for the first time.

I got a Z-axis error though and Im not sure what it means or how to go about it. Looks like this:

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks guys!

1 Like

Another option may be MDF that is veneered on both sides with your choice of hardwoods, the edges look good and is nice to machine

1 Like

I may be late to respond, but I would try this on any light colored wood flooring that is easily accessible. It would also be cost effective.