X-50 Journeyman table, built and ready for action

It’s brand new, so that area is still in progress. Those are literally my first cuts sitting on the table. Another long wait (ordered in March) finally over. I will be adding a water tank underneath, this or next weekend, so I can more easily drain and fill the table. Very happy to have it as a new tool in the arsenal.

1 Like

WOW! Your shop is worthy of a spread in Good Housekeeping! Simply amazing.

1 Like

Very very nice. Any space limitations you may have is IMO offset by your organization and setup. It really appeals to my OCD.

1 Like

Thanks. It took several years, several different organization schemes, and a few buckets of sweat, but I think I have finally Tetris’d this garage into submission.

2 Likes

You’ll love it. I started with their first table, upgraded to the XL and now have the Pro too.

A lot of the design work is interchangeable between the different CNC tools and you can often use the same design for a metal version vs a wood or plastic version of a project.

1 Like

Definitely looking forward to it. I already do a fair amount of back and forth between the CNC and my CO2 laser, as I like to quickly prototype parts on the laser using inexpensive posterboard. It’s a very fast way to verify I have designed something to the correct shape and size before moving to more costly materials.

1 Like

Hi. Amazing planning and set up! I hope it’s going well.

It looks like with the spindle mount, the SuckIt dust boot with the fixed Z, independent of the spindle Z is not available. Or is it? Is it a problem to have the cutting position obscured by the dust boot? Maybe a RPi camera inside is an option?

Also, this is off-topic, but that looks like a hacked Harbor Freight dust collector at the heart of your piped system. I am in the process of “revising” my HF machine to something similar. Are you finding it to be powerful enough for your needs? I have put a Rikon 12" impeller in mine. Huge difference, but fingers crossed here.

Again, great install! Thanks for sharing!

It’s going great, thanks.

I chose to go with the PwnCNC Dust Boot v7 due to it having a direct 4" connection, which the Suckit does not. No experience with the latter, but I’m pretty sure others have used it with an 80mm spindle. I can, however, say that the v7 is an excellent boot and keeps the shop clean.

Yes, it is a Harbor Freight with a number of upgrades made over the 3-4 years I’ve had it. I could not find the Rikon impeller when I looked and instead went with the WEN which is supposed to be comparable.

I’ve been pleased with it overall. I recently motorized all my gates to make things easier in the shop. One funny thing, I had to add a mesh laundry bag over the plastic hanging bag to prevent them from popping when I upgraded the impeller, but I also use a significantly smaller bag than normal due to space and since over 99% of everything goes into the trash can.

2 Likes