Y rails off slightly

Got my Onefinity last week, finally built a table and installed it… everything seems to be good but I noticed that thr Y rails are slightly off from one another. They are dead on parallel as far as I can measure, but the right one is just shy of a 1/16th back from the left one. Is this a huge issue? Am I gonna have to remount it? Thanks!

Hey Van,

is your X/Y assembly rectangular (“squared”)?

This has been discussed here the other day. The simpliest way to check this is whether the diagonals are identical. A rectangle, i.e. which has right angles, has identical diagonals. If the diagonals differ, then it is no rectangle, but a parallelogram, i.e. your angles are not right angles, which means your machine is “not squared”.

1 Like

Yes, the right y rail is slightly back in relation to the left y rail.

After using the gamepad to move the x axis, or running a few test jobs, does this gap remain consistent? I would also check the distance from the Y mounting blocks to the X rail blocks - it is possible the linear bearings are not pushed into the blocks the same distance on each side - perhaps confirm the distance between X and Y blocks are not in fact the same, or closer than the 1/16" gap you see by eye.

Does your machine still home correctly? I also have a gap and the y axis don’t run together smooth. Wondering if that could cause the issue

It seemed to home no problem, everything ran smoothly. I think it’s because it was only off in one direction (y). I ended up unbolting the right y rail and running 1/4-20 socket head bolts through my MDF table. I adjusted it slightly to make it square and I’m pretty happy with it now. I think I’ll replace the screws on the left y rail with the socket head bolts also. Just seems a bit sturdier.

Make sure after you cut any material that you clean the ends top and bottom of both rails as material will jam up in them and it will offset them and cause the offset in time if not cleaned fully. In you pic on the one that is off there is dust on the top rail if that bunches up it can cause a offset. I had it happen to me with MDF and the bottom rail as the tolerance under the rail is tight and tends to drag the dust towards the end.

Hey Javier, hey Van,

…the latter can be avoided like this

@AndyP FAQ: Category “Stall Homing”

Van

Thank you for that info very much appreciated