Z Axis Incorrect Depth

Everytime I ran a toolpath the Zaxis goes deeper than the set depth in the toolpath. I tried zeroing the Zaxis with the touch probe and doing it the old fashion paper method and it still cuts too deep.

Thanks

What CAM software are you using?

Thinks to check:

• is zero for model in the cam same as you are setting?
  • check any offsets from your zeros. E.g. F360 can change how deep a cut will go in the toolpath setup.
  • is the bit slipping?
  • is the stock warping, bending up slightly?
  • look at you gcode, is the z position as you expect?
  • model offset from stock (top, middle, bottom)
    …
1 Like

I use carbide create to design and generate gcode and I have never had a problem on my Shapeoko.

When I troubleshoot problems like this it helps to check one thing at a time.

First check the movement of the machine:
I would set Z0 in the usual way.
Then take the cutter away from the work on X or Y, lift it up a couple inches.
Then press the Z0 button on the controller. It will rapid down to Z0.
Move slowly in X or Y back to the work and see if it just scratches the surface.

Then do the same thing by taking the cutter off to the side and below the surface.
Rapid back up to Z0 and check.

If machine is repeating fine then:
Open g-code in an editor or open it in https://ncviewer.com
check for a flat area and see what depth the g-code is actually programmed for ( not what you intended it to be - but what it actually is ).

If it is not what you intended then look in your CAM software for setup issues or “stock to leave” issues or whatever.

If code checks out fine then:
Run the code until it gets to the same spot you checked the Z depth for.
Pause the running code and look to see what Z depth the controller says the cutter is at.

Then if I am still scratching my head I would stop the program, get the cutter out of the way and measure the depth myself to confirm it is off.

If it still is off I would again check the Z0 setting of the machine by lifting the cutter up and away from the work to the side then pressing the Z0 on the controller then slowly move over to the work and see if it scratches.

(This Z0 check I always do after I set Z0 every time anyway.)

When I updated to 1.3 on the controller I had issues with Z0 not staying set to the correct place. this is the check list I went through to confirm it was the 1.3 update. It only did it twice the first day after the update and never again.

1 Like

My OnFinity JourneyMan Z Axis Drill Bits Goes Deeper that Fustin 360 Depth Setting for Bore Hole. The Bore Hole is 3.9 , the Workstock is 12mm, yet the Drill Bit almost triples the Depth of Cut on the Z axis.

@OneCNC
Sounds like you have the wrong z slider configured:

1 Like