Acorn Build-bench testing complete!

Installed yet? Or are you manually homing? I never installed limit switches yet on my machine. I home so seldom and it’s actually been very easy to manually move to the hard stops & zero out machine coords.

Yes you can I have a rotary setup and then a regular setup. Once you set them up it’s easy to switch between the two.

1 Like

Yeah I am running manual homing. It’s so simple that I would have to be very motivated to install the limit switches at this point. I just park the machine at the end of the day and when I start back up it’s ready to go.

1 Like

Yes, THIS. Exactly. I simply haven’t realized the need for it at all. And quite frankly, I like keeping the machine wiring that much neater. Unless I’ve accidentally hit a jog button without motors being powered, then the machine retains coordinates just fine.

1 Like

Are you using software squaring using the 4 separate drives? I’m considering going this route but I’m thinking of putting a 4th axis on in the future. Wasn’t sure to go with Acorn cnc or Acorn six to utilize the software squaring instead of paring the motors to one drive. Are you using Vectric? What did you for a post if you are? Thanks for any input, it is much appreciated. Love the build by the way.

What did you use for end of travel? I dont see any sensors or l/s’s
Thanks

Hi Tom.

I used the manual homing and soft limits so no limit switches or sensors. I use Fusion for all of my modeling and programming. I don’t use the axis paring or auto squaring.

I have sold this machine and am now running the Avid 2x2 Benchtop Pro. I went with the standard 4 axis acorn again and manual homing, closed loop steppers etc etc. Iso30 spindle and ATC. I might add homing switches in the future as I run G54…. Coordinate settings for my fixture plate and vise locations. That being said, the software and control board have been so good that I’ve never had an issue with missed steps or anything. The closed loop steppers will now reinforce that as well.

I have a brand and product line that I have designed so repeatability and efficiency are what my machine is set up for. The Acorn has been an amazing platform for this.

You can try the acorn 6 if you have plans for using the extra Axes for sure. I would highly, highly recommend the wireless MPG from centroid.