Amana Tool Experiment

Hi All

I tend to use Amana tools where I can because I like the quality and the fact that I can use their tool library in Vcarve.

I’m just preparing to machine a large Oak and Walnut Chopping Board and been watching a lot of Broinwood on youtube to get some hints and tips from a Master.

I noticed he recommended an Amana Tool 45611-K 15 Degree Engraving, although a lot of his videos show him using a Amana Tool 46282-K 5.4 Deg Tapered Angle Ball Nose

So as I haven’t really done much with inlays I thought I’d try a practice run with both tools as I have them both. the pictures below show 20mm high text flat depth was set to 10mm both were cut at 40 IPM. the top one was cut using the 45611 and the one on the bottom with 46282. both untouched other tan vacuumed.

Well if it was me I would go with the 45611 so much cleaner…

definitely, much cleaner

Much of the difference between the 2 lies in the 45611-K having a zero degree helix angle and the 46282-K having a 120 degree (I’m guessing at that) upcut configuration flute, this results in the 46282 pulling the wood fibers up where as the 45611 is pushing them sideways. Also to keep in mind the 45611 is a 2 flute where the 46282 is a 4 flute bit so in theory you need to spin the 4 flute twice as fast or move it twice as fast to maintain a similar chip load so you’re cutting and not just making dust.

Thanks for the help and advice I’ll have a play with the speeds and feeds, what would you recommend for Oak and Walnut for each type of cutter

Regards
Dave

Have you given a standard 2/3 flute, 60 degree V bit a go? Something like the Amana 45624-K

The 45611 is a single “flute” spade cutter which can tear up splintery woods, while the tapered ball may be a tough angle for inlays as the positive reliefs may end up thin and fragile… worth comparing.

Great discussion, really interesting

I’ve got the 45705 do you think there will be a difference in the quality of cut with the 45624 on either the male or female inlays.

Regards
Dave

Well the 46282 is an up-cut bit - So yeah, it’s going to pull the fibers up and make poor edge quality on wood.

Is the 46705 an upcut bit ?

I do find the solid carbide V-Bits to be better. They have a different cutting profile than a flat cutting edge. This video shows one example briefly:

Dave - I think you mean the 45705? As far as I know, there is no “up” or “down” with that type of v-cutter - they do not have a spiral to force the bits in any particular direction.

IME, the wood species has a lot to do with quality of the cut. Something like oak is a lot more fibrous than walnut or maple. Either way, a little sanding usually removes the fibers on the surface. I did a video exploring optimum v-cutter feeds and speeds on different wood varieties if you are interested.

I’ll also note Broinwood spends a lot of time cleaning the cuts to get a good match :slight_smile:

-Tom

1 Like

Tom

you were correct, i meant the 45705