AutoCAD to Fusion 360

I am used to modeling in AutoCAD but am pretty terrible at Fusion 360. Would I loose any functionality if I modeled everything in AutoCAD and just used Fusion 360 for applying toolpaths and communicating with the Onefinity CNC? Not sure if there is an easier option for me software wise or if it would just be best for me to learn how to model in Fusion 360 since I have access to it.

I can’t speak to any loss of functionality with regards to what you use to generate the G-code, but I use AutoCAD and Draftsight 2D cad to draw virtually everything I run on my machine.

1 Like

Hi Bill, what do you use to generate the g-code?

I use Estlcam. Very user friendly program, easy to work with.

Fusion 360 has bit of learning curve but I would stick with it. I self taught myself Solidworks and then moved into Fusion. There are some great tutorials out there, many free ones on Youtube. Also the guys over at I like to make stuff put out one. That I want to take. Fusion 360 for Makers (podia.com)

I used Autocad for about 10 years doing BIM modeling. I unless there have been major changes in the last 5 years I would not recommend.

1 Like

Thanks John, I appreciate the info. I’ll have to check out podia.com

Totally agree, but we tend to want it now. Patience isn’t easy, totally agree and yes utilize those youtubers and this board. So many folk are ready willing and able to help.

2 Likes