Best Software to convert ai files

Hi, i work with adobe illustrator making vector graphics, my question is wich software is better to convert ai files to readable files (dont remember the name) for my cnc? thanks

Left a post on Facebook as well. Both V-Carve and Fusion360 can import .AI files from Illustrator - I’ve used both.

1 Like

thank you, im gonna check both programs

Fusion 360 is free for educators. I am impressed with parametric resizing. How does it compare with V-Carve?
Which (perhaps both) have post processor capability to run my onefinity journeyman pro? It makes sense to me to import an AI file, modify it, perhaps add text and then add tool paths from a tool library, create G Code (post process) and send to my cnc.
Am I correct? Your thoughts please.
Dan

I use Illustrator and Inkscape to create SVGs. Your best bet is to just save your work in the vector graphic program as a simple, boring SVG and open that in Vectric or CarveCo or whatever you’re using.

1 Like

It’s more powerful for CAD work than Vcarve, but it’s a lot more complicated for CAM (generating toolpaths).

If you also do 3D printing it’s probably worth learning Fusion360 (free for all small makers) but for just CNC, nothing beats Vcarve.

1 Like

Multiple file types are poor. I would prefer to wok in ai. Then I can see these files. And open them to make changes.
I get a year of carbon free with my new Onefinity journeyman pro which just arrived.
But I don’t like installing multiple programs on my pc. They take up ram. And confuse the registry slowing down the machine.
So I’m thinking of vcarve which imports ai files.
Thoughts?
Then how does vcarve save files? With or without tool paths and with or without code for the Onefinity buildtronics controller
Can you preview the saved files?

Trying to get a cnc program that plays well with my new controller.
I’m guessing none of them for cnc are as good as Lightburn is for laser.
Please help.
Thanks. Dan. Long Island ny

Vcarve saves toolpaths separately if you choose to ‘save toolpaths’. Otherwise, the .crv file has the both the CAD and CAM functions saved together.

None of these programs are that resource intensive. Any computer built after say 2013 will be more than powerful enough to grind through the work you would do for you 1F.

You say you want to use .ai files. Those are the proprietary derivative file format of Adobe Illustrator…I find it funny that someone who is concerned about system resources would use Adobe. That company is the worst at dumping layers upon layers of unnecessary trash into their programs and their file formats.

If you use the CarveCo for a year you will probably want to keep it. IMHO though, the best balance of power and ease of use is Vcarve…no contest.

1 Like

Okay so I create a 2 d file in ai. I import it into carve. When I save it, how can I preview it later?
Does vcarve allow you to preview somehow? Perhaps in explorer? In vcarve itself?

.ai is just a vector image. But you need to remember that it is just an SVG that is loaded with a bunch of Adobe information that is useless to CarveCo and Vcarve. It slows things down a lot and might introduce artifacts into the CAD program.

CarveCo and Vcarve both allow you to simulate the toolpath cuts.

1 Like

can you preview vcarve files from explorer?
Can you save part of the design as a new file?
Does it save the crv file with tools, feeds,speeds, depth of cuts?
All this and more are features of lightburn. I’m spoiled.

Yes. It does all of that. It is, after all, a $700 software product.

1 Like