Bit cutting height (noob question)

If a bit is marked as having a 3/4" cutting depth, in this case the Amana 46202-K downcut bit, does this mean I cannot cut project pieces that are thicker? I am thinking that in this case, since the shank matches the cutting width, I could work my way down to a cutting depth of 1". Am I thinking this correctly, or do I need a cutting depth that matches or exceeds the project piece?

Cutting depth is usually related to the flute length of the bit, so in cases where you’re cutting a slot of a pocket that is larger than the diameter of the bit and there is a way to clear chips you can theoretically cut deeper than the flute length. If you cut deeper than the flute length then you do run the risk of the shank above the flutes rubbing on the workpiece creating heat, burning the stock, and shortening the bit life.

1 Like

The bits are clearly not designed for use below the cutting height but I have done it in a pinch and it works… up to a point.

Starting with the obvious: the shank does not cut at all so you must cut in multiple passes, clearing a path for the shank as it were.
You also need a good vacuum to clean the cut and you should not expect a perfect finish.
You need good quality bits.

Last but not least, as hobbyist we usually don’t stress our bits very much so they can take an abuse once in a while but if you find yourself constantly cutting below the cutting depth or if you’re in a commercial setting… get a longer bit.

I would think that 1/4" on the shank is deep. I have never tried more than 3mm below the flute (0,1").