Cutting 3/4" plywood with a 1/4" upcut bit (worried about cutting height)

Hello All,

Apologies if this is a dumb question. I’m looking to tool up and almost pulled the trigger on some 1/4" upcut bits (2 flute) to get me started on a bunch of forms and fixtures I use in guitar making. The reason I didn’t is they have a 3/4" depth of cut and I will be cutting 3/4" plywood. Is this ‘cutting’ it too close? Should I look for longer bits with a depth of 1" or so? I was hoping not to as the price goes up and I expect to crash and burn.

Any thought, suggestion, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
_Mike

I would perhaps go with a 3/4" compression bit as upcut bits are notorious for leaving a rough edge on the top of the material. With a compression bit you could maybe take 2 passes @ 3/8" which would give you a nice top edge as well as a bottom edge.

You may find some compression bits which are perhaps 1" long but the longer the shank of the tool the more you may introduce flexing. However, I would just go with the 3/4" flute length tool and see how it goes.

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply! I read this days ago but never responded. Jerk move. Have a great day.

_Mike

2 Likes