Can the jtech laser really cut through 3mm plywood

Here are some 3mm BB plywood puzzle pieces I cut a while back when I was proving out what the Laser could do. I remember I was able to do them in a single pass at 1/8" focus height, 80% power and somewhere around 10-20ipm.

2 Likes

Hi Kyle, is that with a jtec or Opt laser, an i have to ask, what is BB plywood - balsa?

It was with the J Tech 7watt Pro I ordered with the Onefinity. I think the high def lens on the Pro might make a decent difference in the power at focus point. BB = Baltic Birch

I have to say they are the best results ive seen for the jtech, How did it get on with standard 3 ply, the majority of replies on here suggest its not really designed for cutting, (no air feed is available) an i really like the option of being able to cut any type of 3 ply

1 Like

Yeah, the cutting is limited as air assist would be good to have. I wouldnā€™t go any thicker than 3mm. Iā€™ve cut just a few sample things on 3mm ply. Most of what I use it for is laser marking and cutting card stock.

I have also marked anodized aluminum and steel with pretty good success.

Just one thing to keep in note, we only officially support Jtech. If an off brand laser doesnā€™t work, you might be on your own for support.

The 5m is already in the kit, you want the optional 7m.

Indeed, it is understood. Itā€™s also a risk but weā€™re makers, we like to tinker.
Just look at the number of threads on tables in the forum, despite the fact that there is an official offering from 1F.

I debated whether I should get the JTech or Opt Lasers.
Generally speaking having official support is a strong plus for me but shopping electronics in Europe is also a strong plus. Itā€™s a lot easier to replace or support, in case of problems with the electronics.

Incidentally I had the same debate when I ordered my 1F: should I get a local offering or the more innovative device?
In the case of the 1F, innovation won. In this case, the difference between the JTech and the Opt Lasers is not so great. Or you could argue that the air nozzle is the most innovative.
In the end, their sales on the air nozzle won me over.

If you were to setup a European warehouse, that would make 1F a very strong competitor, I believe. I know one person who bought a (I believe inferior) CNC because he would not risk importing ā€œa delicate machineā€ from Canada.

1 Like

My thoughts are, as mentioned we are makers, and hobby or not this type of equipment is a large investment, therefore the majority will experiment with or move towards turning their investment into a business in the hope of turning something they enjoy doing into a full or at the very least part time job.

In this situation you never really know what direction will take off an having ā€˜optionsā€™ is the key. The Jtech laser in my opinion is incredible value for money and extremely good at engraving, however i need to know that should the situation arise and i find myself wanting to ā€˜cutā€™ for example any type of 3mm plywood, that this is also an option.

I purchased the Onefinity after doing a lot of research and realized that it is simply miles ahead of its competition in every way, although it took several months for the unit to turn up it was worth the wait, the machine is OUTSTANDING. (based on practical experience) an continues to exceed my expectations every time i use it.

I like the like fact that i can have an idea an know the only thing holding me back is my lack of experience, as makers we are creative and i donā€™t want to limit myself to engraving only, when for some additional investment (yes it is more expensive) i can have the option to cut as well.

The Onefinity is a game changer, the Jtech laser is an add-on, if they add an air nozzle and options that are available with the Opt laser then that would be a game changer (and an easy decision with the 1F support)

1 Like

Interesting to see that you have used your laser on steel. Does anyone know if they can laser silver and if yes, to what depth and detail?

@AndyP as it did ā€œmarkā€ the steel, I definitely would not define it as an engrave.

Iā€™m not sure how deep it would engrave silver as it is shiny and would reflect most of the beam. It might not be deep enough if jt is a wearable piece which would most certainly wear off after time.

1 Like

Uploading: IMG_20210726_210710_520.jpgā€¦

There are some examples with Opt Lasers 6w
Using birch plywood and oak plywood. Both engraving and cutting.

Hi peter, was this done with or without the additional air nozzle as the lines look very clean/crisp, no burning and did you cut the shapes with the laser or cnc?

Hi Oakworx,

yes, the air-assist was used to engrave and when cutted out the contours.
I really makes a HUUUGE! difference when engraving with air assist.
All the smoke stains and residue can be kept away with the air-assist.

-Peter

ti 24. elok. 2021 klo 23.39 Nick via Onefinity CNC Forum (onefinitycnc@discoursemail.com) kirjoitti:

ā€œJust one thing to keep in note, we only officially support Jtech. If an off brand laser doesnā€™t work, you might be on your own for support.ā€

Opt Lasers support works exactly like it should from a customer point of view. So you are not on your own with Opt Lasers. They do take responsibility over their products and has good support. So even if onefinity wont fix the support for you, Opt Lasers will fix the the support and they have good support channels (inhouse and community).

Good to hear as i ordered one last week (mainly for the cutting ability), an have to say so far their response to questions etc has been superb, however it was due to be delivered yesterday - Fedex said it was in transit an would arrive by 12am, unfortunately it never turned up an Fedex donā€™t have any idea when it will arrive (apparently their online tracking system doesnā€™t work properly an it never left customs - the frustrating part is its only 20 minutes away), however this is nothing to do with Opt, just a shame they use FedEx, really looking forward to seeing what it can doā€¦hopefully some time this week :grinning:

2 Likes

@Oakworx , did you receive your Opt? Can you give us some feedback please?

Hi Alan, yes i received the laser, unfortunately Opt are using Fedex to deliver in the UK and to say i was messed about with the deliveries is an understatement, to be clear this is due to Fedex consistently advising me of a delivery time an date an it never turns up, (not Opt fault) when it finally arrived the build quality (all machined aluminum) is second to none, however unfortunately like Ben above it was sent out with the wrong cable (it does not fit the onefinity controller) an i am still waiting for a replacement (again customer service from Opt was superb, i advised them of the issue on friday afternoon and they had one in the post by midday Monday (unfortunately, youā€™ve guessed it, its with Fedex) an yet again i keep being given a delivery time an date an it never turns up, still waiting with no idea of a delivery date as we speak!!

1 Like

Question: If you buy the jTech laser from Onefinity along with your CNC of choice and Vcarve Pro, do you get a license for the laser module in the Vcarve software also?

That would be nice, but I donā€™t think so. However, I bought my VCarvePro separately and had to pay for the laser module from Vetric.