Can the jtech laser really cut through 3mm plywood

No. However, you do not need the module to make it work: Vectric Laser Post Processor | J Tech Photonics, Inc.

4 Likes

Thank you for this information.

They have this giveaway campign now. Go and try you luck :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

I think your focus is a little off!

I just completed this 12"x18" multilayer project last night using the same settings as you. It did take 10 passes and air assist, but it sure turned out nice.

J

3 Likes

Glenn, did you lower the laser on each pass to keep the focus on the remaining stock? I am impressed. I tried again but could not cut all the way through even after I refocused.

When I was running the trial version of LightBurn, I did an experiment with lowering the Z at each pass. If I recall correctly, I think I was able to get thru it in 6-7 passes.

I ended up going with the Vectric laser module. I didn’t see the ability to build in a Z lowering action, so I just cut it from a fixed height. World of difference using the air assist to clear smoke and charred material out of the cut. In my experimentation, I could not get a consistent clean cut throught the material even after 15 passes without the air assist. And there was a great deal of scorching in the area next to the cut.

You did bring up an interesting idea though. I might try to manually add a Z step down in the gcode after the file is generated. The only problem is that the post-processor generates the instructions to do all the passes for each vector before moving to the next vector. The solution would be to set the number of passes to 1, then do a copy/paste of the code block for each additional pass. Or I could just control the Z step manually and run the program again, and again, and again until all the vectors are cut thru.

When I was monitoring the progress, some areas were cutting cleanly through in 6 passes, wasting time cutting empty areas. Others were a little more stubborn even after 10 passes with tiny slivers still hanging on. It wasn’t a big deal to take an X-Acto knife to slice those area cleanly.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

A little late to the party, but I recently received the JTech and am cutting 2.6mm as we speak with no problem. 2.5mm/sec at 100% power with 4 passes using Lightburn as my programming software. Slow? Sure. Clean cut? Absolutely.

For what it’s worth, I also went with the carveco maker plus software and it has been great and significantly cheaper than aspire. Easy to use and also like said before does have the laser tool paths included. It’s been super easy to setup 3D carves. Even from simple 2d pictures.

I just received my 7w JTech and for the first test it cut through 5mm plywood in 5 passes. 4 passes made it almost al the way thorugh, adding one more allowed the part to drop out. The plywood is 5mm RevolutionPly from Lowes. The settings were 100% power, 15IPM and 5 passes.

2 Likes