Carbide Create bit starting point?

I hope this makes sense. I’m using a keyhole bit to create a channel about .25 inch below the material surface. My work path extends beyond the final desired shape so that the keyhole bit can begin its path on a section that will be discarded. The red dots indicate the problem. Carbide Create wants to start all the contour toolpaths at bottom left, but three of these tap handles need the path to start at top left or right. The image with the green dots is what I need. Can CC do this?

Just run a contour cut on the outline of the bottom face. If you have to, you can manually extend the line in carbide create… If you would like, upload your model (STEP/DXF/SVG) I can upload some screenshots of how I would go about this!

Thanks jarrfarr, though I’m not quite following you. I think I can fix this by using an open, U shaped path, but I’m curious to see your suggestion>

Stem Group v01

Yeah, that was what I was trying to get at, I didn’t realize you had a closed loop contour in your vector file. What you suggest will work! Good luck with your project… what exactly are they? Is that a finish, or bare wood?

1 Like

They’re tap handles. I’ve already done a prototype, but now I need to make several at a time. The wood is actually oak. I use a red dye, usually Trans Tint and Mixol, and then spray a few coats of water based polyurethane.