Carveco Feed Rate vs Controller Display

So I ran my first job yesterday with Carveco Maker to cut this sign for my sister.

It seemed like my V-Bit was carving way faster than my 1/4" spiral end mill, and when I looked at my controller screen, the feed rate was about 112 inch/min if I’m not mistaken. The tip of my bit ended up breaking off, but the job otherwise finished successfully. Should the controller screen be displaying the feed rate that was entered into Carveco’s V-Bit Carving settings, shown below?

1 Like

50 mm/sec = 117.9 in/min on my calculator. Did you perhaps intend 50 in/min?

Wow, you are totally right. Yes, I intended inches/min… Why the heck is there a mixture of in/min and mm/sec? The Roughing Tool settings are in/min!

2 Likes

Okay, so it looks like it was my mistake. I had to create the tool since I couldn’t find it in the Amana tool library I downloaded. There’s an option to select “Rate Units” on the Edit Tool dialog box, and I overlooked it and left it at the default of mm/sec.

Oops!

Worse yet try entering a new bit with feed/speed and thinking inches/min and mistakenly entering inches/second…no bueno!!!
Won’t make that mistake again!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

It hapens, we saw one recently where the units were wrong, and someone was trying to machine something the size of a football pitch, with the tinyest stepover you have ever seen. By the way nice image, it looks very crisp.

1 Like