Did I damage my laser?

I recently got the 44w laser. This thing is a beast, I’ve been having a lot of fun with it. However, I think I may have really screwed up. I did a 15-minute etch at 30% power and noticed that it started out well, but the quality got worse by the end of the burn. That’s when I realized I forgot to turn on the air-assist pump. My machine is in my unheated garage and it’s been well below zero lately so I haven’t really had a chance to get back out and try another burn. Is it likely that I fogged the lens, and if so, is this repairable?

Yes, you most likely destroyed the lens in two ways, thermal shock and burning in the lens with debris from not using air assist. Contact JTECH directly and they will be able to sell you the replacement lens.

2 Likes

Thank you. I was hoping to hear something different but lesson learned. :frowning:

2 Likes

Try cleaning the lens before spending money.

3 Likes

Yep, I contacted JTech support and they gave me detailed instructions on how to clean it. Their support is outstanding.

2 Likes

Update: After following the instructions sent by Shane from JTech I was able to remove the lens and clean it. Luckily it wasn’t cracked. So, the only permanent damage was to my ego. I hope this will be the last time I forget to turn the dang air pump on.

Fogged

After cleaning

3 Likes

You might want to email shane the pictures. There’s still a large mark where the laser goes. Ask shane if that’s normal.

3 Likes

So reading this and all of a sudden I realise, hey, wait, my laser is in a drawer in my unheated shop! :scream: :cold_face: Raced down and brought my precious into the warm boosom of my home where it shall remain until spring.:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Yeah, from now on mine will be resting comfortably in the house util spring… unless I need to burn something but I’ll keep it warm until I’m ready to turn it on. A large part of the reason I posted all this is so others can learn from my “head up the exit portal” move.

2 Likes

I agree. That ‘image’ shouldn’t be in the lens. You might try cleaning the backside if that’s where the residual image is located

1 Like