Differences between v bit tips

I am thinking about getting a 30 degree v bit and I noticed that they come with different tip sizes. Often I’ll find .015 in and .005 in. My reasoning is that a sharper bit will make a cleaner line, right? Is there a reason someone would want a more blunt v bit? Bits also seem to come in different shapes. From cones to completely flat, and some don’t even look centered. What’s the difference between these nuances and do they matter?

I think it comes down to purpose. I suspect that you are looking at bits that are meant to be used by normal router use, not just CNC. I.e. if you are doing an edge bevel using a V-bit with a hand router you don’t really care about the tip. If you are plunging in to the middle of hardwood with your CNC you’re going to want a proper cutting tip, else you are just driving a piece of metal in to the wood.

Just a note that 30 degree v-bits are very pointy-sharp, and the tips are stupid fragile. I’ve purchased two Amana 45771-K 30 degree with .005 tips. Snapped the tip off one while carving cedar a little too fast. Snapped the second when it fell out of my collet while swapping bits and post-holed my waste board. I don’t think I ever used that second bit since the tip broke before I ever started carving.

2 Likes

I am thinking that .005 tip will be so small, it would easily break if not careful. I do a fare share of epoxy inlay work and vcarve inlay work, and my goto bit is THis 30Deg Vbit from PreciseBits. I have yet to be dissapointed in what this bit can do, run it on speed 3 if using the Makita. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll keep the fragility in mind, and might lean towards .015 in. I’m guessing that its so small, I wont be able to notice anyway.

1 Like

Pretty much what everyone else said, and I’ll add step over values.

If I’m carving a single line with the v bit, pointier is better…engraving type of cuts.

If i am doing inlays, a little bigger tip width is better. The software need some step over value. Reasonable range is 30 to 100% of tip width to enable it to clean out corners the pocketing bit cannot reach. 80% of 0.015” is 0.012”. This makes corner clearing more than twice as fast and gives a flatter bottom than 100% step over of the 0.005” tip.

3 Likes