Different Cut Depths on between tool changes

Hi all.

I setup a test cut for a memory box top with raised lettering in a different material from the main lid. Shown is scrap cedar i glued to scrap alder. The cut worked out for the most part but i see the same problem ive come across before. Different cut depths between the tools.

1st clearing tool was 1 1/4 end mill
2nd clearing tool was 1/8" end mill
Final 60 degree V

The 1 1/4" is clearly lower that the others or the others are higher.

Job is center datum, used probe on all tool changes and even made sure no burrs or anything affecting heights. Any ideas what may be causing this?

I should also add that the height difference from 1 1/4" to 1/8" measured at .0305".

Can you post the original project file?

Which file? The 3d rendering of finish product?

I’m sorry, the .ngc file.

raised cedar top test.ngc (857.9 KB)

I’m assuming you fully tightened your collet before probing for Z height and you have no offsets defined in your file?

Have you validated your machine is properly configured and moving the precise distance it has been commanded to move?

-Tom

1 Like

Yes sir. Collet tight. Not exactly sure what is meant or how you validate or configure movement like that…

Did you probe Z height at the exact same spot all 3 times?

1 Like

Yes sir…made sure to do that specifically for this post.

That is strange… You seem to have a bit of a tramming issue that might account for some of the error which you can see where the passes of the large bit overlap:

I don’t think this fully accounts for a .031" difference but could be contributory to it. Did you flatten your waste board and if you did do you have similar ridges in it?