Second pass cutting too deep

I have created a tool path that uses a .25EM a .125EM and a Skinny Jenny.
The .25 clears the material just fine but the .125EM cuts deeper than the .25EM.
Start point is top of material and I am probing for z at the same place after the bit change
Please help
Thanks

After changing bits are you probing to a touch plate or to the surface itself?

1 Like

Yes i have - using the probe from onefinity

Probing to a touch plate- i read your question wrong the 1st time

This isnt necessarily wrong. If the Jenny hasn’t run yet, are their contours that will be in the areas that were left raised? In other words, when the Jenny comes in in the the last pass, will it be cutting a contour raising up from the level the 1/8th bit cut at up to where the 1/4 bit cut to?

2 Likes

That was after the jenny

Have you run this more than once with the same results? Could the bit have slipped? I’m just brainstorming now.

1 Like

I haven’t run this one more than once but i have had the same problem with other projects. The .125 always cuts lower. I had the suggestion that it’s because i probe xyz and then flip the probe for the next bit the .125 and the skinny jenny cut at the same depth

Check your Z setting on the probe. I noticed similar results as you, but when changing to any tool the new Z setting would change from previous. Once you set your Z then move the tool to Zero and check to see if it is where is is suppose to be. The other way is when you do a tool change, set you Z using the paper method to see if it still cuts too deep or if its correct. If it’s correct it is your probe settings that are the problem. While you are at it, check the x,y probe settings as well. I do a lot of 3D cuts and flip-overs of the part so alignment is critical. All my issues were the Probe settings.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.
Not sure what you mean by checking probe settings

Go into your “settings” on your screen and look for probe settings. There is where you can adjust for X,Y, and Z. First, before you mess with any settings, do the paper method for setting Z and see if your depth problem goes away. If it does then you need to adjust your probe settings. In the end, you should be able to use the probe and the paper method to check if you line up to the exact same location in X,Y, and Z. This may not be your problem but I would check to make sure. I would think you would tend to have a probe setting problem more so in the X,Y when flipping parts over but its still important to calibrate your Z as well. You should be able to tell the machine to go to Z 0 and it should go exactly as you set it.

1 Like

Also, to keep things constant, I would use the paper method on both the 1/4” and the 1/8” to keep things consistent. Just rule out the probe as the issue. I spent a lot of time dialing in my probe to get super accurate settings in all directions X,Y, and Z. Also, I found that if you Z your new tool change, hover the tool in the same area (corner) that you did your original x,y,z. If your part is uneven slightly your probe could rock ever so slightly and register a tad different Z setting. I have proven this…. I love the probe but if precision is what you need/want, you need to spend time dialing it in and not just trust the settings it came with. I am not saying this is your problem, but just try doing the same part using the paper method.

1 Like

Hey Tim,

this video explains Onefinity Touch Probe Fine Tuning

The first thing I would do is follow what Mark @WarrGuitars suggested: After having changed the bit and set your Z, move the tool to Zero and check to see if it is where it is supposed to be.

2 Likes

Sorry, one other thing; make sure the bottom of your bit is CLEAN…. remove any build up on the bottom of the bit - sides too for that matter. The probe relies on current; any gunk may cause the tool to press down further than needed to register…

2 Likes

Hey Tim,

why exactly do you suspect that? If you say you probe Z at the same point after the bit change but you flip the probe, it should make no difference since the height of the recessed area of the probe does not change when you flip it over. However you would not need to flip it over if it’s on the same place.

Is the area where you put the probe for probing xyz consistently flat (no ridge at the edge of the board, no chips under the probe)?

After the first pass, is there any material removed in the area where you place the probe?

1 Like

There is no material removed where i probe. The idea is that calibration is off with probe. I am going to try the paper method for probing z. But i am out of town till Monday

Thanks for all the help i will rerun the files in Monday usung the paper z zero method and see what happens

With all the help on here i was able to figure out the problem. It had to do with flipping the probe. I marked a spot on the probe and a spot on the material and probed for z at the same location for all bits and it worked fine.
Thaks to all who helped.

3 Likes

Hey Tim,

that turned out well. Will you also do something for finishing, possibly with different colors?

1 Like