EStop or Black Square?

Hey Andy,

:triangular_flag_on_post:

EDIT: The following sentence applies only to Original Buildbotics Controller. As Onefinity stated here, their Hardware Emergency Stop button is not wired to “estop” of the mainboard!

yet I don’t know, but one thing is clear, the Hardware Estop button is just read out by one of the Input Pins of the AVR ATxmega on the Controller Mainboard (PF3, see circuit diagram, page 3), and triggers the execution of a piece of code.

I assume the Estop button on the screen triggers the same piece of code. Buildbotics calls this the “estopped” state. None of these Estops are real Emergency Stop Buttons. That’s why it says in the Buildbotics Manual:

:warning: The National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA 79) requires that the class of emergency stop button be determined through a risk assessment. The soft “emergency stop” button on these web pages and the estop pin (pin 23 on the DB25 I/O connector) are both software controlled, and cannot be used for safety . If your risk assessment requires an emergency stop button to be installed for safety purposes or mission critical applications, then Buildbotics LLC recommends installing a “listed“ hardware Emergency Stop button in line with system power.

Even if we purchased the Onefinity CNC for using it with another Controller, I ordered a Onefinity Controller with it because I’m fascinated by the Buildbotics project and want to have a look at Onefinity’s implementation of it. Yet I didn’t have the time to do that, so I asked myself the other day, what indeed does the “estopped” state in detail?

Back to your question, I’d ask you back, does the Black Square Stop Button do what you expect it to do when you hit it? Does it stop the spindle?