Finishing Bits Drilled Extra Holes

But then again, 1mm is just a little over 1/32 inch, Wouldn’t this increase process time for roughing, finishing etc, or is this where the tapered bit matter does its magic. Pardon the layman questions, but I’m a layman. :slight_smile:

Thanks

JENN

Speed really comes down to how many tool changes and setups you want to do. There is a convenience in letting a single tool/toolpath do it all but isn’t always more efficient. If the roughing pass takes 10 minutes and you factor in another 5 to do the tool change then adding 20 minutes to do just a finishing pass a bit slower may be acceptable to be more hands off. It really depends on the type of finishing pass… If a 3d raster then likely worth it… If a profile operation that is smart and only machines where the wood bits remain… It may be better to still do roughing passes. Roughing is also sometimes required to avoid collisions due to the bit lengths and geometry you are carving.

1 Like

This makes sense to me. So many variables, it will be fun to get as much knowledge under my belt. I know there will be a few screw ups. But hey, we’ll learn from those :slight_smile:

Thanks

1 Like

If your piece doesn’t mind having a tapered profile that would work with no tool changes. Roughing wouldn’t be an issue because the finish path has to travel over all the roughing passes anyway, so why not do it slowly in one shot. As long as you move it at 8 to 10% and not as a roughing tool at 40% it can handle it. I use full rpm speed at 30,000. Depending on the material I will run it at 20 to 30 mm per second.

1 Like

Hi Al, I’m definitely willing to give this a shot. I appreciate the tip. What particular brand are you recommending? I am using vectric aspire so I should be able to input all of the tool data specifics in so I can run it at optimum performance.

JENN

I recommend what I have tried and stuck with: SpeTool Ball Nose Router Bit Carbide 1/4" End Mill CNC Carving Engraver Tools 4.82Deg for Woodwork Metal Mill 3D/2D Work on Amazon. This is the 1mm tapered ball nose.

1 Like

Al,

I saw the SpeTool’s brand on Amazon, wasn’t sure about them, their prices are pretty reasonable too. I will be ordering them today. Thanks bud! Can’t wait to do a side by side comparison. Are you using Vectric apps? What data are you putting in for theses bits?

Thanks

I just create my own tool and enter the size and taper angle under ball nose and enter the parameters I want to run it at.

1 Like

Okay cool, I can do the same based of the parameters or specs provided… You using Aspire or VCarve?

VCarvePro, waiting for the right moment to jump to Aspire, hopefully soon.

Awesome! Thanks again Alden, I’ll let you know how it goes once the bits come in. :slight_smile:

JENN