Watch 350ipm with 1F through a pine knot

This is a demonstration of the 1F at various speeds. Hope this video helps with the worries about what the machine will take.

5 Likes

Took some photos of these cuts to show how clean they are. There really is very little difference in the cuts visually. The slower speeds are a little smoother in the pocket and in the vertical cut but that is about it. The idea is that depending on what your project calls for, detail vs speed you can adjust the speeds to do what you want and not worry about whether or not your machine can “Handle It”.

4 Likes

J, what brand bits are you using? Quality bits, or bargain basement? Also, I’m thinking that the higher grade bits would be better performers? Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks

JENN

Jenn for that video I was using the 420-dnc250-down cut. Its one of the bits that comes with the (2 moose recommend sets) that is for sale in the 1F store. I also have a set of Amana bits that I use more often that cut way better and give a better finish. I still run them all at that speed if I am just cutting things out or do not care about the finish. I slow it down to around 280 with the 1/4 if I want a good finish and just sand from there. For me it is not worth the extra cutting time to run the machine at a snails pace for the differences that the finishes bring.
*Astra Coated* 1/4" Down-Cut CNC Router Bit | BitsBits.com

2 Likes

Good to know J, I haven’t invested in quality bits and I think I need to. Especially my 1/4" roughing bit. I’m thinking of getting an Amana Roughing Bit, I do two types of woods: Pine and Teak. I mostly do relief carves so there is lots to rough out of 1.5" to 2.5" wood plaques. Any recommendations with good website links?

Thanks J!

JENN

Good little demo for us newbies.

Do you have a cure for me as I still find myself holding my breath as my router rapids and then starts its first plunge into the timber.

I have had this set for a few months and they have been well worth the purchase.

3 Likes

Thanks J, I was originally looking for a decent roughing bit and came across this:

Amana Tool 46350-K CNC SC Spektra Extreme Tool Li…

You think this could be my “go-to” bit for all my roughing relief carves? I just need to get a lot of excess wood out, to prepare for my finishing detail bit.

Thanks J

JENN

That is a very versatile bit I use for many operations and it performs well. Depending on the amount of area your are clearing you could consider running a 1/2" or larger similar to this:

For roughing out large areas I’ll run a 3/4" bit like that at 200 ipm and a 1/4" depth of cut using a 1.5kw spindle.

1 Like

Derek, thanks for the confirmation and vote of confidence. I have heard great things about Amana bits sharpness and longevity. And I want to invest in a quality tool. So both these bits are in my short list.

Thanks again

JENN

ToolsToday sells the Amana bits as well and you can rack up a decent amount of rewards points to get cashback on future purchases. I’ve been really happy going through them. I’ve got about $20 credit for my next order already.

3 Likes

Same here, I’ve only ordered Amana bits so far and all of them though ToolsToday. I’ve pretty much only ordered the Spektra coated as well, they are a premium price, but I feel you are getting what you pay for. Have to say it is a little nerve wracking to watch a $60 bill charging at material for the first time. Never hurts to do a dry run with the Z homed higher then your material at first.

In upstate NY even normal UPS ground is next day delivery if you order before 3pm. With that I don’t feel the need to keep spares on hand.

-Kyle

3 Likes

I just ordered the Amana Tool 46350-K CNC SC

Why do they refer to these as compression bits. Is it strictly for plywoods, I use primarily Pine and Teak.

JENN

They’re not strictly for plywood but do have a particular application when creating a full depth cut through plywood in that they pull the fibers up at the bottom and push them down at the top which helps minimize tare out. This would apply to any depth of cut greater than the length of the “upcut” portion at the bottom of the bit when creating a contour. I tend to use them in cases where I want better chip evacuation than a down cut bit would offer but still want the down cut functionality on the finished face - generally a 1/4" or greater depth of cut.

1 Like

Okay, then I guess it should work splendid for me on Pine, not sure about harder woods like teak, but I will test it out. Like I said earlier, it will just become my de-facto standard rough tool path bit. Amazon delivers today -

Thanks so much Derek!

JENN

Sounds good Kyle, I just received my Roughing Bit ( Amana Tool 46350-K) and I am getting all the parameters into Aspire, but I am stuck on these two:

Pass Depth
Stepover
Percentage

What data should I put in there?

Thanks

110ipm.
.25 doc
40% stepover
18000rpm
For hardwoods is what Amana recommends. I would start there

2 Likes

Hi J, so the cutting parameters appears to be the same as feeds and speeds just below that. Okay, thanks!

JENN

I think you are much farther along in your knowledge and use of your 1F and Vectric, but I found this series to be helpful for me. I think the 5:30 minute mark in the video below is relevant to your question (apologies if you know this already):

1 Like

Thanks, nothing like good solid resources to clear the waters.

Thank you!

JENN

1 Like