Forum introduction's

Well, pulled the trigger last night.

I’m Nate, been doing woodworking as a hobby for about 10 years. Had been saving up for a CNC for a while. Knew I didn’t want any belts or wheels so I was leaning toward the AVID. The cost and assembly were really hard to swallow. Along came the Onefinity and here we are. I’ve never used a CNC before and its been 25 years since drafting class so the learning curve will be steep.

I know it is going to be a fun ride and this machine should last for quite some time. Looking forward to learning from all you nice folks.

5 Likes

Where are you from Nathan Sutrick. If you know Autocad then Fusion 360 would be an ideal start since Autodesk makes that program and you can use it free or used to be able too. That’s what I use and you can design, model, render and do tool paths and g-code. So a one shop program.

Hello Folks, been lurking for a while. Learning all I can. New to CNC, but have been working with wood all my life and I’m no youngster. Received the shipping notice for my woodworker machine, now I need to move all the projects/machined wood from my table, that I have ready to carve with it. Please keep sharing the good information, as I need it. ThanksIMG_0768 ![IMG_0769|640x480]

5 Likes

Hi all Mike from Florida here. I won’t receive my woodworker until sometime in May. Complete newbie, I have been trying to watch as many video’s as possible but to be honest it is starting to burn me out on the computer. I have always been more of a hands on kind of person. I have VcarvePro their tutorials’ are okay, but at times i feel they are going to fast. Not a youngster any more and the old sponge isn’t quite as absorbent as it use to be. Are there videos from any of you on you tube that show mounting the wood on the spoil board, loading the file from usb drive setting zero. And running the program with a tool change in it? Glad to see there are so many helpful on this forum. Thanks all.

1 Like

Welcome Mike and Vic. I can relate to “not being a youngster any more” :slight_smile: My OF scheduled for April so you won’t be too far behind me.

Hi I’m Dennis from Portland TX. Been in aviation the last 45 years. Woodworking as a hobby ‘ and who knows what in a couple years when I retire. I have a 15 year old Romaxx that has old technology. Time to upgrade, placed my order a couple days ago, and waiting. My only experience is with Aspire, shouldn’t be an issue. Look forward to sharing with everyone

5 Likes

welcome to the group Dennis

I’m Joe. Systems engineer by day, up and coming woodworker by night. I’m new to CNCs and OF is my first. Looking forward to getting it.

2 Likes

Very cool! Welcome aboard Joe, when do you expect your CNC to arrive?

Welcome Joe @jgruppuso & Dennis @Dennis1 :+1: We’ve got a pretty great collection of folks on the forum, you’ll enjoy the group.

-Alex

They first week of may. Super pumped to get it

1 Like

I’ve been a hobby woodworker and an avid car enthusiast for years. I have no CNC experience, but I’m excited to learn, create, and mentors others when I’ve got some experience. I currently own a restomod’d '55 Chevy Belair and hope to mill some incremental improvements such as an engine intake cover, center console, coil relocation brackets and other small projects. I also plan to help my wife with some projects for her sewing blog.

I received my CNC on 27 Feb and will surface my spoilboard tonight!

Let the CNC adventure begin!

1 Like

Welcome Bryan, many of us are new to the CNC game but I’m sure you’ll find this forum is a haven for knowledge and interaction.

1 Like

Greetings from southwestern Maine!

I’m Kevin. I have been interesting in building/fixing things for years. In the past, I mostly worked on engines (jetski, dirtbike, small block Chevrolet) and submarines (EM for 12 years, earned dolphins in 2009). @Markevans36301 @Jake

Getting my feet wet in woodworking by building a cedar strip canoe… It is easier than it seems, and only requires hand tools. I’ll post a picture once the forum allows.

Looking forward to learning how to use the Onefinity to develop and manufacture objects with precision.

Kevin

1 Like

Hey, Kevin!

Are you the same Kevin M on YouTube? I just dropped you a note, requesting the gcode for the spoilboard project. I, too, have followed Ben Myers and am configuring a similar setup for my spindle. I’m still on the Makita right now as I just got my 1F but I am already trying to make some improvements.

Bob

Hey Bob!

Thanks for reaching out, but not the same Kevin. Unfortunately, I have had my 1F for over a year and it is still in the boxes it came in! Moved last year to another location in Michigan and don’t have a space for my shop yet.

We also just moved into a winter house in Florida, so might setup something there. Read your Bio… my wife filled the Florida house with FB market place furniture! I think she now has a small addiction to finding used furniture! LOL I may also be doing repairs on furniture to support her new hobby!

Kevin

2 Likes

Hello Everyone! My name is Arnie Williams, 72 age, retired electrician and have built cabinets part-time for the last 50 years. I recently received my “woodworker” and am having a fun time learning the basics. Thanks to this forum I am a regular that reads all comments to help me prevent repeating mistakes. I am interested in making urns and designed several to give to old friends. Anyone needing electrical advise just give me a yell! Thank You.

1 Like

Welcome Arnie! Do you plan to use the woodworker for cabinet-making?

Ben…50 years of part-time cabinetry is enough but I may use it for specialty “forms” for doors. My objective is to build and design urns. I am new at this and would like to learn more about stl format files. I use Vectric Vcarve Pro and am learning the CAD/CAM technical and would like to know how to take a jpg file and convert to a stl. I have one museum picture that I would like to reproduce in a high quality 2.5D relief carving. Thanks for asking and appreciate any suggestions.
Arnie

I cannot help you, I’m afraid. I have no interest in relief carving but there are many others in the forum who will.