Forum introduction's

Welcome to the forum “officially” Chris!

1 Like

Hobby woodworker here. This will be my first CNC and I got interested as I was making flags and signs and carving everything with chisels or Dremel. I was really unsatisfied with the Dremel results.

I have been trying to learn Fusion 360 but it has a pretty steep learning curve, especially without a machine to practice on. Looking forward to trading experiences, ideas, failures and successes with folks involved with the same process.

I should be recieving my onefinity around Christmas time. I am planing on making a folding onefinity table to conserve space in my small shop.

4 Likes

Please post some photos of your completed project as I am thinking of doing the same thing.

Hey @BBStacker , I made a post about my table in the project section, you can see it here. Flip up CNC table

Thanks! You made my day!

2 Likes

I’m a 49 years old computer scientist in Namur, Belgium.
I got interested in woodworking over the last few years… I have only completely a few simple projects so I still consider myself very much as a beginner.

I’m also into Arduino programming so I’d like to build “smart furnitures.” That initially got me interested in CNC as the machines appear more approachable, given my skills and training, than traditional woodworking tools :smile: but the complexity of the kits scared me away.
I follow a French woodworker on YouTube (Olivier Verdier) and he got into CNC big time recently, renewing my interest.

The OF will be my first CNC. I was attracted by the large working area that appear suitable for furniture making, the apparent build quality and, most importantly, the fact that it does not need to be tethered to a PC (in my private life, I’m very much an Apple user; a PC is too close to work for a hobby).

3 Likes

Hi. I’m Jeff a 65 year old, retiring next year pharmacist. I’ve dabbled in woodworking but mainly making countertops,tabletops, etc with concrete. I will be a complete novice when I receive my cnc which will be Mar/Apr. I would like to be as well prepared as possible when I receive my machine so any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve raised 5 kids, owned 4 businesses and love to create beautiful/unique things. I’m getting the cnc to be another creative outlet and to enjoy the process but making some money would be great too.

3 Likes

Welcome Jeff!
I’d suggest deciding which software you want to use and learn as much as you can designing projects. If there was a challenge for me, it was with the designing and wrapping my head around the program.
Also join the Onefinity (unofficial) Facebook group. You can pick up ideas there and see what others are doing.

Hello Grant…I lived in the northside of Columbus from '72-'82.
Just got my Onefinity and Vcarve Pro.
Having trouble with Zeroing my workpiece. I’m getting some help on this Forum
but of all the videos I’ve watched no one has discussed my issue.
But I’ll eventually get it.
Anyway just wanted to say hello from eastern KY.

Rick

2 Likes

Hi Rick, I have lived in various places around the North side of Columbus for about 32 years now. Currently close to Harlem and Walnut east of Hoover Reservoir. I’m sure you will get the issue worked out. I’m currently in the que to receive my machine the week of 1/25. Hope it doesn’t actually come any sooner because my oldest daughter is getting married on 1/16 and I would hate to look at the boxes sitting there taunting me knowing I cannot touch it.

1 Like

My second post may have to start with an apology. I sent a quasi introduction into the gallery area because I didn’t see this thread. Sorry about that.

I’m 65 and live in Tennessee and been a maker since long before they used that term. I took toys apart as a child (just to see how they worked) and Radio Shack was my favorite place to shop for what ever electronic thing I was building. I’ve had a 3d printer for 3 years and have been astounded by the number of useful thinks I’ve printed (one of my pre-purchase fears was that I would only make trinkets with it). I can help people with questions in this area.

I’m pretty new to the CNC arena. I have a Cheap 3018 which has failed me more than worked for me (part my inexperience, part poor machine). It did leave me wanting more and I began my research for something much better which eventually led me to the OF. In this area I will need help more than provide help, but I’m a believer in “pay it forward” and when I’m capable I will help where I can.

Chuck

5 Likes

Hi all,
I’m retired living south of Minneapolis. I have built cabinets and furniture as a hobby and decided to try my hand at CNC work. I researched all of the more “hobby” oriented machines and was convinced to buy the OneFinity by Ben Myers’ video comparing it to the Shapeoko. Mine is supposed to arrive around the 25th of Jan. I will continue lurking for information until I actually get started😀

Nothing wrong with that. Welcome to the group.

Hi All,
Kevin here. I am a landscape architect by day…and sometimes at night too…and I have been woodworking as a hobby forever. Grew up in the construction business as a son, grandson, son-in-law, and nephew of carpenters. I have a general contractors license too but make more money as a landscape architect :grinning:.
Adding a OneFinity to the tool supply mainly to help some friends with sign work. Looking forward to using it on projects around the house and maybe milling some light aluminum parts for RC Cars, etc. Looking forward to spending some time here and learning from everyone.
Machine is set to arrive late Feb.
Thanks everyone!

3 Likes

I just turned 60, and have been making flags. I bought a cheap cnc to learn on and nearly bought a shapeoko, but I just couldn’t pull the trigger. I saw Onefinity, with no belts and bought it. I can’t wait for May. I got a lot to learn.

Ronny

4 Likes

Welcome Ronny, I was in the exact same boat you were. Had a cheap CNC and was on the shapeoko train… fortunately the day I went to order they didn’t have the exact configuration I wanted and a couple of days later I discovered the OF. Of course now, the wait is killing me :slight_smile:

I’ve learned a lot the last month here that will help me once I do get my machine.

2 Likes

Hi Edward Henry, I am from Springfield, Mo. (ANYONE NEAR ME)? I am a disabled veteran hoping to save for a CNC to add to wood-shop I am hoping learning woodworking will help ease some of the PTSD issues. But am concerned as my meds mess with my short term memory so learning is a bit slower than most folks. But I will try. I have a lot to learn like best software, best or most common bits and such but I think I will start saving for this CNC in the hopes I can get it this Christmas.

2 Likes

Hi Edward,

I was concerned with what seemed like an impossible learning curve. I was reading everything I could find and watching all kinds of videos regarding using a CNC. Once my machine arrived and I had the opportunity to start putting hands on, things became much clearer. I’ve made a couple of mistakes like using a two sided carpet that was not sticky enough and ruined a sign when it moved in the middle of a carve. My first table top for the 1F was made of plywood that warped, so I had to scrap that and make one out of MDF. I stopped a program and did not raise the z axis before returning the machine to zero and drug the bit across the piece I was working on. Don’t worry Brother, just take your time, work at your own pace, and keep a log book near your machine and make notes of what worked well and what not to do again.
I really appreciate the sacrifice you have made and hope things get better with time.

2 Likes

I’ll throw my hat in the ring. Just placed my order for a Woodworker and the basic accessories.

I’m Doug and recently-ish made a not-entirely-organized move from Denver down to the mountains of New Mexico. All my shop stuff is still back in CO as we work to clear out almost 30 years of accumulated stuff in the family garage. I’ve had a 6040 cnc for a couple years and was just getting to the point of getting decent results after a sporadic process climbing the learning curve, but decided that rather than spending all the time getting it set back up again when I was pretty certain I wanted a larger machine, I’d take the plunge and re-orient around the Onefinity. Hopefully I’ll be ready for it when it ships some time in May.

I don’t Facebook, so I’ll be hanging out here instead.

4 Likes

Welcome Doug,

Congrats on the move. I’m with you on the Facebook thing, trust me there is plenty of good stuff going on in the Forum you won’t miss a beat.

Cheers’
-Alex