Flip up CNC table

Ive seen a lot of very similar cnc tables like this one and it made sense for my shop. This is mostly made from Baltic Birch ply and measures 60" wide, 19.5" deep, and 32" tall (without the casters). The table measures 46" wide and 46.75" deep. I wanted to maximize the storage this table had so I added 5 drawers for all the little cnc knick knacks that associate with the machine. I was concerned that with all the moving parts the table would be a bit wobbly when setup up. And… it is… very slightly. When all the casters are locked and the legs are leveled I was surprised how sturdy it got. Its not rock solid like a stationary table but its acceptable in my opinion. I hope this gives someone ideas on a CNC table for their small shop. If you have any question, I’d be happy to answer.

13 Likes

I assume you will screw the CNC directly to the table top, but how do you plan to attach the waste board? I’m planning on the same kind of build but since the waste board needs to be replaced, I’m not sure if maybe a recessed bolt, on maybe threaded inserts might be the way to attach it, so when I need to replace it, it does not tear up the table top.

1 Like

I plan on screwing the waste board down, whatever that ends up being. Ive left the bottom side of the torsion style box top removable because I wanted to be able to through bolt the machine and t-track if thats what I end up using. As for tearing up the top with a bunch of screws, I’m not to worried about it. If I’m careful in my screw hole locations I should be able to find the previously used screw holes. Thats the plan anyway.

Nice job @Mogregs - I just finished a bunch of drawers for my closet and it was a lot more work than I thought. Of course, when compared to remodeling the whole office with 2 desks and 3 cabinets, the closet was a mere flesh wound :wink:

Can’t wait to get my OF and get it into its new home - hope it fits!

-Tom

Would you be willing to share your plans? I have been looking into this type of setup for my machine.
Looks amazing!

2 Likes

@DMwoods I didn’t build this off any plans I made however, I can post more pictures or dimension you’re looking for if that would help.

If you’re looking for a set of plans to build this type of table Targs was the originator of this type of setup. There are plans and cut sheets here:

Have fun, its what I visually based mine off of, then as I’m sure @Mogregs did just took it from there and winged it.

-Alex

4 Likes

@MindOfMcClure Thanks for finding that link

1 Like

@Mogregs Thanks for the reply, I will definitely reach out for some measurements if I go this route.

And thank you @MindOfMcClure for the link

1 Like

I like your design, OF just got some wire extension, I was wondering what length would be nedeed for your table if I want to used some drag chain?

2 Likes

If you just want to push the controller back even with the back of the machine and add drag chain the 2’ is plenty, that is my extension length.

-Alex

Thanks you Alex :+1:

1 Like

That’s a really slick design! Nice work!

2 Likes

What is the table top itself made of. You said the project is “mostly made of Baltic birch”

@Doghouse98 The top is 3/4" MDF with a wipe on poly finish.

2 Likes

I was able to find these as I plan on doing something similar.Folding CNC Table (Sans Drawers).pdf (528.8 KB) CNC Table Drawers.pdf (231.1 KB)

4 Likes

Thanks!! That is very helpful

Ok, I got my OF on Dec 28th. I was so super excited and am super excited to gets going. I loved the idea of a flip table, so…I built one using 4x4s because I thought, Hey this is going to be a heavy machine and I am going to need a strong table. My build plans took a bit longer and I still have some stuff to do, cabinet and drawers. Got the table put on though and thought…how difficult is this going to be to lift up ar set down. Well, the table top doesn’t weigh much and wasy to move, but when a OF is on top you need to be ready for heavy weight training. I am sure an x-carve or shepoko are light enough to swing around. This OF is built to take a direct hit from a missile and keep working without missing a beat. Maybe I missed something in the plans or my slight changes have caused me undue grief…lol. Or, maybe a flip top is just a bad idea for me. Only time will tell. Here is a photo…lol. Please don’t judge. I am only a hobbyist at the moment. Also, the die to the weight, the x rail will spin down when table folded. In case anyone was wondering

1 Like

![IMG_3921|666x500](upload://wM2

z9XbCITcq8PUaVNHoCgUYvp.jpeg)

Here is my attempt at a folding Onefinity table. I still have a bit of work to do like adding drawers. But, as stated above, once the 1F is mounted to the table it does take a bit of heavy lifting to get it set up. I will have to live with that until I get a 2 bedroom house with a 7 car garage, or a 40 X 40 barn.

5 Likes

So excited to find this thread! Current shop is smaller than I’d like and in the basement of a very old base house, so the ability to balance space with the need to be able to get this thing up the stairs when we move again is critical. Appreciate the cut list and everyone’s thoughts, can’t wait to start getting this together.
Quick question: any thoughts/concerns on stability/movement? I know that this shows locking casters, but wondered if drop feet were considered, and what folks did to ease the adjustments to make it level. Our floor is less than level, so will need to be able to adjust when I setup the table each time.

You mentioned posting more pics, that would be great! Interested in your recommendations for the pivot point and what hardware you used.
Thanks again!

Otter

1 Like