Fusion 360 question

I’m trying to make embossed letters and I would like to have the detail of a small diameter bit but at the same time use an end mill to remove the bulk of the wood. If I use adaptive clearing with the small bit it’ll take a very long time. So I used a 1/4" flat end mill to remove the bulk. I can clean it up with the small bit using the 3d contour but it doesn’t remove all of the material.

bit

The horizontal tool path or 2D adaptive will clean up the rest of the material

There is also a “rest machining” button that you’ll need to make sure it’s checked in your second toolpath.

1 Like

Alex - the second pocket should remove all the material - looks like you are doing a contour cut instead. But like Nick mentioned, use rest machining to save time. (I would not use adaptive on the second pass unless you have a lot of material to remove + adaptive generally won’t clear small pockets).

-Tom

Thanks for the advice. It’s been a slow learning process as the bulk of YouTube videos are older and Fusion has been updated / changed. It looks like my problem was a poor quality TT font. Some of the letters weren’t nice smooth lines. Visually it looked fine but once I zoomed in you could see the jagged lines. Being as accurate as it is the code was trying to follow the lines which it couldn’t do with a 1/8" end mill even though it looked like it should have. I’ve held off getting smaller end mills until I got more time on the machine vs breaking a brand new bit.

I have had pretty good success doing all my text work in an SVG editor (I use Affinity Designer) and then importing that into Fusion. It gives you significantly more font options as well and letter spacing control, ability to place text on a curve, and so much more.

1 Like

Alex - I do most of my font work in a vector program and then import it into Fusion. I’ve found Fusion’s support for fonts is really quite terrible. If it renders the font properly at all, I’ve had very mixed success with generating tool paths or v-carves. Fusion will not work if any of the font lines cross each other for any reason. As such, I create the work in Affinity Designer or Inkscape, do all my editing, turn the font into a path, delete any crossing lines and close anything that is open, and then import into Fusion. It’s a little more work, but I get the font I want and the vector programs are a lot faster editing nodes than Fusion.

-Tom

2 Likes