Gauging interest in beginner tutorials

Hello ladies and gentlemen and others who don’t fall into binary categories.

I have noticed that here on the forum and on the Facebook page there are frequently lots of what I’d consider beginner questions. There is no intent to denigrate the askers of these questions, we have all been beginners at some point and one of the best ways to learn is to ask questions!

I also understand that most (if not all) of us here are very familiar with the University of YouTube and often visit in search of knowledge. I would like to see if there is enough interest in this (quickly growing) community for another Onefinity centric YouTube channel.

I think I’d start at zero (well, maybe start at one, since I don’t want to un-mount my machine) and go over tips, tricks, workflow, software, etc. and could definitely take suggestions from viewers. The point would be to help them, after all.

Leave a comment, answer the poll, use smoke signals, send a pigeon; let me know if I should dust off my camera and mic!

• Do it
  • Don’t do it

0 voters

7 Likes

My problem with YouTube is it’s forever. For example for trying to learn Fusion it’s great having lots of videos but it’s terrible. Software changes so when you are learning and the video says select “CAM” and you can’t find it because the latest version of Fusion now calls it “Manufacture” you spend more time than needed trying to that out than learning.

Then there’s the slight differences between the free version and paid. For example the free version of Fusion doesn’t allow changing bits. So you need to learn how to generate code for each bit. That’s not something someone who pays for it would think about.

As for the 1F, most everything needed is documented pretty well.

2 Likes

use your channel like a school 101 for beginneres 102 etc etc
you guys have nailed a cnc router design for sure expand on that
show how to wire spindles, water pumps, vac’s get into the weeds on feeds and speeds, software - it’s endless the content you can present - let the questions from people using your machine guide you.

2 Likes

By that logic Alex, none of us should share information on this forum either because at some point it will be outdated.

I appreciate the feedback, but you are going to need to work on your argument to convince me!

2 Likes

Hey Nick,

can you give an example for questions you mean?

I can dig and find examples if you like but I’ve seen lots of:

• How do I choose what bit to use. What feed, what speed?
  • Why is my v-carve inconsistent, some letters look deeper than others?
  • How do I get my bit un-stuck from the collet?
  • What is DOC and why is it important?
  • What is chip load?

To be honest, I feel like there are more “beginner” questions on the Facebook group. As a person who prefers the forum, I’m not biased at all that the forum users are better :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

None of these are particularly difficult to answer, but there is a large subset of learners who need to see it before it really sinks in… That’s why YouTube.

2 Likes

Sorry if you misread my post Nick. I wasn’t trying to talk you out of doing it. Just trying to point to the pitfalls that people don’t think of when they make tutorials.

To me I think two types of tutorials would help. The first would be what you just posted. One that goes into the terminology (with maybe a cheat sheet that can be downloaded) and what to do with that information. Maybe instead of what feed or speed to use but go into identifying that you are using the wrong feed and or speed. Being able to would make it easier for someone new to try a bit that isn’t one of the more common bits. Helping identify when a bit is dull would also be very helpful.

The second would be using free versions of software. That part would be a little harder as you would most likely want to focus on the software you use. New users are either just going to pick one by how popular it is, pay for it, and struggle to learn it. Or they just figure they will dabble with something free and fumble through it. Maybe less on the creative part of making something and more on making something simple and then go into details on how to make code for the 1F detailing the options and how they relate.

2 Likes

Good idea. Some thoughts from my experience/journey

Starting Point: Onefinity is set up, help me make something?

(1) Absolute Beginner: “Help me cut something out”.
As a beginner your nervous about feeds and speeds (should the router sound like this? Will I break my bit…?).
Borrowing from learning software arena - a CNC version of “Hello World”.

For example:
18mm pine/mdf. 4 inch by 12 inch plank. Screw down into wasteboard half inch from corners (no worries about clamping variants). 1/4 inch end mill. Carve and contour cut out with tabs. Something like the Team Onefinity sample we all receive. Demonstrate using F360, Vcarve, CarbideCreate…

(2) Learning the Ropes:
Through Demonstration, Feeds and Speeds, DOC, Stepover. Rules of thumb. When to use which type if end mill / end mill size for what purpose.

Typical gotchas: such as causes for out of limits,

(3) optimising and techniques
Multiple tools
Rest machining to rough cut then detail.
Spindles 101
Joints
Design and Construction tips and tricks (tolerances, simple lap joint plywood box)
Carves

5 Likes

Nick, Alex and all those subscribers to this forum. I am new, actually waiting for my machine in the very near future since May 01. I have spent many hours watching videos and sometimes the technique of a presenter clicks with me and I continue following classes in enriching my knowledge. After countless hours I have not only discovered which software (Vectric) was best for me, but ventured to other videos explaining similar cnc methods and vernacular. This all takes many hours! It has been frustrating but successful, but what I see within this forum is vast amount of knowledge that is willing to share. God Bless! We may not have every answer to a beginners questions but a simple class on cnc terminology and suggestions on a safe approach to feed and speeds with DOC would be appreciated. This topic can become debatable but for us newbies any suggestions on the conservative approach would be appreciated so we do NOT get ourselves in trouble and launch a .25 EM stuck in my stomach. I am open to anything with the idea that after some experience I can stretch my courage to test my bits to higher achievements. I thank everyone of you for your dialogue and sincere time with us newbies, maybe someday in years to come I can do the same to help others appreciate this wonderful hobby because I am retired (Electrician) and like to share my skills with those hesitant/apprehensive with this technology. Thanks to all of you
By the way I voted Nick!

4 Likes

I find that there’s already quite a lot of sources on the material that you plan to cover.
I’d be more interested in a channel on actual milling projects, similar to what Carbide 3D does. The learning material can be distilled throughout the project.

6 Likes

Good idea Ben. I think it would be more fun to make a project while teaching too!

2 Likes

Also consider that you have more opportunities to grow a channel through projects.
We don’t remain newbies forever (hopefully) so a beginner channel quickly become… less relevant.
On the other hand, we’re always looking for inspiration so projects remain relevant for all levels.

@AdamsLeatherWorks had posted a good project video a couple of weeks ago:

1 Like

Hi Nick - in response to beginner questions here on the forum last year, I created the digital manufacturing 101 series to help answer some of the basics. I’m happy to help with your project if you choose to take it on.

But to Alex’s point, some videos do get dated relatively quickly. And, the finding new videos on small channels is hard on YouTube these days. Finally, and this not limited to videos, getting new users to read or watch before asking questions is always a challenge. Again, no slight on anyone, just an observation from my few trips around the sun.

-Tom

2 Likes

Maybe what would help would be a new section to the forum, “The Newbie”. All the tutorials could be a sticky at the top but allow comments so when someone is trying to learn and has an issue they can get help. If something is outdated it can easily be brought up and a replacement video could be made.

It could even have two sections, the first being tutorials and the second being projects. In the project section there could be both the image (say SVG format) and the .nc file, what bit (or bits to use), and the feed/ speed.

The first thing I did with my 1F was to load the 1F logo file into the controller and mill it out with a 1/4" end mill. It was pretty easy but it still there was a little doubt at first and then that “It’s moving feeling of joy”. But I had to go through the steps of loading the file, using the touch probe, and then telling the 1F to start. But I knew the file would work vs one that I created. From there I think my second project was a simple V-carve sign.

A great tutorial could be a vector file in several formats that could be loaded into different software brands (V-Carve, Carbide Create, Fusion, etc.). The tutorials could then go through the steps on how to generate the .nc file in each one.

1 Like

Thanks for the thoughts Tom. As a subscriber to your channel, I appreciate all you do and your advice is greatly appreciated!

For me there can’t be enough beginner videos. I watch them all and each one gives me a little different insight. Yes please.

1 Like

These ideas sound great to this beginner.
I am just getting things up and running and find that I am pretty clueless.
I especially like AndyP’s suggestions and would find them immediately helpful.

Thanks all

1 Like

It would be a great idea and a wonderful help. I do not own a machine yet but may so in a few months. Anything that would help out the learning curve would be sweet. Thanks

1 Like

I think it would be a great idea for us beginners who find the whole experience easier when you can get some help