Gecko G540 wiring connectors and resistors

Not sure if it would be helpful to have an “Aftermarket Drivers” category, but for now I placed my question here. I was wondering if those using the Gecko G540 had experience with either solderless connectors, or EZ connectors with adjustable potentiometer? If not, did you have difficulty sourcing the correct current set resistors, or soldering them to the DB9 connectors?

@TMToronto I had ordered some of the solderless connectors from Amazon, but when they showed up, I didn’t like how big they were so I sent them back. I really like the ones with the built-in pot, but could not find any in the states. I would definitely go with those given the choice. I wonder if the standard plastic shells fit over those. I just ended up using the supplied DB9 connectors. It’s a pain, but not horrible. Done it about 4 sets now over the years, and it never gets any easier. Requires a soldering iron with a very fine tip. Even with that, it’s not as neat as I would like, but it’s covered up with the shells. I had the resistors on hand. They’re just 2.8k. In my case, I had plenty of 5.6k but no 2.8k, so I just used 2 5.6k in parallel. BTW, if you go the G540 route, be aware they don’t supply the DB25 connector, so you have to source that yourself.

Lol, the soldering of the DB9 connectors is probably the worst part of G540 ownership! :laughing:
I cracked one open to get these pics:

Thank you Bill for sharing your experience and preparing the images - you did a good job with your soldering. My 1F won’t be here for a while so I still have time to make finalize my electronics choices. I have been looking at the Gecko G540 as well as the Leadshine M4660 - both are reputable companies offering quality drivers. AVIDCNC recommends the M4660 for their CNC controller set up.

The M4660 is $90 US more than the Gecko, and also offers higher voltage (although it will probably be safer and more cost effective to get a 48V power supply anyway) and amps. Another advantage is that it uses screw connectors, making connecting to my motor cables easier - no need to get DB9 connectors, resistors, and worry about soldering the smaller connectors. I plan to get the Masso G3, and am considering buying a DB25 breakout communication cable - CNC Double Shielded Breakout Communication Cable (Gecko Drive, Leadshine) | eBay - to make connecting the Masso and M4660 easy. It may end up being worth the cost, as it would take me a lot of time and materials to make such a good quality connection. The M4660 also has a lot of input and output options, which may go unused given the functionality of the Masso, but may end up being nice to have regardless. I plan to save some money by making the other basic cables I need, and my controller box - I have the time and patience for those builds.

Thanks for the kind comments. Like I said, it’s not getting any easier these days! Soldering the DB connectors is definitely not one of the more enjoyable aspects of the G540.

I had strongly considered the M4660. But the G540 won out due to past experience & slight cost advantage. With either unit, I would pay for redundancy overlap for I/O that exist on both my controller and on the driver. One of the primary draws to the Leadshine would have been the screw terminals. What I like about the G540 is the somewhat modular design, making it easy to replace a bad driver if and when it happens.

Be aware on the 48v power supply. I had run one for the first 3 years on my x-carve, and my motors & the G540 were always very hot. When I backed it down to a 36v power supply, both the motors & the G540 ran much cooler, with no apparent reduction in performance. Larger motors may function better on 48v, but the motors on the Onefinity don’t really need that much.

That cable looks great, and a sanity-saver! There again, I bit the bullet & soldered my DB25 because I only had the motor connection on that connector.

I am happy you were also considering the M4660. To help limit motor overheating, the unit has dip switches that allow the control of the current going to the motors - 8 adjustments in all. The manual suggests tuning a ‘just enough’ current to balance torque performance with motor heating.

I am still thinking the extra cost - vs G540 - may be offset by ease and efficiency of installation (meaning no soldering, resistors, and DB9 connections + saved time) and futureproofing options (added I/Os and higher Volts and Amps). I agree that the ability to field replace dead driver modules is a nice plus in favour of the G540.