Getting Nextwave spindle to work on 1F Journeyman

So I got a really good deal on the spindle kit from Next wave below. What are the steps and products I would need to make it compatible with my Journeyman? Thanks in advance

https://www.nextwavecnc.com/product/3hp-water-cooled-spindle-kit/?doing_wp_cron=1693278881.0855391025543212890625

Looks like it’s just a standard Hengyang vfd, which already works with non-elite out of the box (and can be had much cheaper on amazon.)

1 Like

It probably is a a huanyang type spindle. I just happened to get one one dirt cheap. Pretty much the same as Amazon price.

Just curious now how to make it work with my Journeyman

1 Like

Hey Jussi,

there exists a search function in this forum.

Thanks. I’ve used it and so far I’ve only seen posts on setting up a new spindle. I was just curious if there were any differences when the vfd and spindle have already been setup to work with one another and what (if any) differences there are if all I need is the hardware / programing make the controller communicate with the vfd. I’m new to this so forgive me if the answers are obvious. I’ll keep looking through the older posts.

Hey Jussi,

if it’s a Huanyang HY Series then it supports Modbus communication which makes it easy to attach it to the Onefinity Original Series Controller, it is a RS-485 two-wire serial communication line.

In the VFD, you have then to set the control sources for RUN command and for operating frequency (=SPEED) both to ‘Modbus communication’ in this case. Then the CNC Controller will control the VFD and thus the spindle. You find this in your VFD manual and in a lot of posts.

You will need a D-SUB-25 connector or a breakout board adapter for the 25-pin I/O port and a twisted-pair communications cable to connect this.

1 Like