Good bye BuildBotics, I'll miss you!

Well I made the plunge and ordered the Elite upgrade for the Woodworker. Now the wait begins. The Buildbotics based controller from Onefinity has been great and I would probably stick with it if it had an upgrade path to an ATC, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon, if ever.

I’m especially going to miss the wired network connection and the web interface, which I think is brilliant. I work in CAD a lot and being able to seamlessly move files to the cnc or to the 3d printer is something I really appreciate. I can only hope Masso steps up its game and moves into the modern world with how we have to get files onto their system.

My workshop is a bit of a walk from my main pc. I vnc(remote desktop) into my pc from a small cheap / old pc i have in the workshop for times when i need to tweak a tool path or design and then reload into the onefinity over the network. If i went elite i would have to do the same and download locally on to a usb.

Twas Christmas Eve, in the workshop bright,
Where BuildBotics hummed with all its might,
A trusty CNC, simple and effective,
But it had flaws, quite introspective.

No automatic tool changer, it lacked that flair,
And 4th axis support, just wasn’t there.
The interface, a bit buggy, it’s true,
And support and upgrades were far too few.

But lo and behold, a new controller came,
Masso was the name, in the CNC game.
Elegant and high-performing, a delight,
With ATC and 4th axis support, it took flight.

But there were cons to this shiny new star,
Expensive and complex, it traveled far.
Network support, it barely knew,
BuildBotics users had their doubts, it’s true.

Yet as Christmas lights twinkled and shone,
A decision was made, not one to postpone.
To upgrade to Masso, a bold leap to take,
For the CNC world, a grand shift to make.

The workshop buzzed with holiday cheer,
As BuildBotics transformed, no more fear.
With Masso in charge, precision and grace,
The CNC machine could keep up the pace.

So here’s to upgrades, and to Christmas glee,
A BuildBotics tale, as you can see.
With Masso in tow, they moved ahead,
In the world of CNC, no more dread!

Merry Christmas everyone, and have a safe and happy New Year!

6 Likes

I can relate to that Andy. I use a couple different computers for CAD, a desktop in my office (attached to the shop) and a laptop in the shop itself. Shared folders on the desktop and web access to the CNC make everything flow so smoothly.

1 Like

Hey Surfin, thanks for that, it made me laugh! … and so true …

Hey Forrest,

you are a true poet.

I know that the Masso is the new hottness, but honestly the buildbotics controller is part of the reason I got the Onefinity. I know it’s got it’s quirks but it is more than capable of handling what I throw at it. Almost no downsides to it for my usecase. The web interface is my absolute favorite thing about it.

4 Likes

Hey all,