Hey Guys Quick questions or link requests

Hey everyone, just got my Journeyman Pro.
Im wondering if there is an easy way to do the following or a link of people who have already figured this out:

1. Can I add physical stop switches on all axises, or is that unnecessary?
  2. Can I add emergency stop switches on the 3 other sides of this machine for easy access?
  3. Is there any safety concerns if I were to redesign my table so the CNC was on the bottom shelf and fully enclosed in a Las Vegas garage when it hits 117 degrees? Only asking because I dont see that often but its a MAJOR space saver.
  4. Is my thought on potentially getting a very cheap throw away laptop to use as a file reader that remains in the garage and attached to the CNC major overkill? Im talking like a $100-200 simple laptop
  5. Best soundproofing options?
  6. Can a regular stanley shop vac work as dust control connected to a long hose and a boot?
  • Can I add physical stop switches on all axises, or is that unnecessary?

Not needed with the stall homing that Onefinity uses.

• Can I add emergency stop switches on the 3 other sides of this machine for easy access?

You should be able to add logical E-stop switches through the DB-26 connector on the controller.

• Is there any safety concerns if I were to redesign my table so the CNC was on the bottom shelf and fully enclosed in a Las Vegas garage when it hits 117 degrees? Only asking because I dont see that often but its a MAJOR space saver.

The rated operating temperature range for the Buildbotics controller is 0-90 degrees F, so not recommended.

• Is my thought on potentially getting a very cheap throw away laptop to use as a file reader that remains in the garage and attached to the CNC major overkill? Im talking like a $100-200 simple laptop

The cheapest way to get files into the machine is just use a USB stick; no laptop needed.

• Best soundproofing options?

I’ll let others answer that; I just use hearing protectors. What ever you do, ensure you can do required mainenance.

• Can a regular stanley shop vac work as dust control connected to a long hose and a boot?

I dunno; I use a Harbor Freight dust collector with a Wynn Environmental cansiter.

yes. Use the search function of this forum.

It is to recommend.

yes. Use the search function of this forum.

If you mount it too low, be aware that leaning over the machine from the front to attach workpieces may become difficult. Also if the machine has a bigger size, you may want a corridor on the back to access the workarea from the back.

Regarding temperature, I don’t know. I don’t even know what temperature 117 °F could be.

That’s what I do, too. The buildbotics-derived Onefinity Controller supports fully remote access to the User Interface. So I don’t have a monitor attached to the Controller. The advantage is that on a remote access, the 3D toolpath simulation is shown during run. It is not shown on the monitor directly attached to the controller, because the internal Raspberry Pi 3B is not capable to render this and doesn’t even have 3D graphics acceleration installed.

An enclosure. Use the search function of this forum to find some examples.

This depends on how long it is. But I would consider a dust collection system as the more suitable for a CNC.

See also:

But there were also reports of people using shop vacs successfully, with all wood dust drawn, e.g. here: