Homing with the QCW Foreman - spindle is 3" past the spoil

First time working with a 1F. Preparing to flatten the spoil board after installing everything. What I expected was for the bit, when homed, to be fairly close to the front left corner of the spoil board. Instead, the spindle centers approximately 3 inches in front of the board end (Y - 3) and 3/4 inch to the right (X + .75). In other words, the stop sensors and the spoil board don’t align in any way.

Hopefully I didn’t assemble this wrong! It seems to move around quite freely in all axis, but I’ve yet to mill with it.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? Thanks!

Wait! Do I have the spoil board gaps (48") on the wrong end?!

I just slid my spoilboard forward a few inches, letting it overhang the front of the QCW.

Ha. This seems odd. I read about the Home Offset and goofed with that, but it didn’t help. I think I found at least part of the solution. I added 1.8" to the workspace Y offset. Now, when I’m hovering past the end, it’s in negative land. Hitting “go to origin” now moves to a logical 0, relative to the home/stop position. Not sure if this is the total answer, but a step in the right direction, I think.

If you look at how the cutting head is located relative to the x slider you’ll see why it physically has to be able to go so far forward. That also means that there’s three ish inches at the back you can’t reach oven though you initially might think you can. The official docs say to set the spoilboard up in such a way that it covers the qcw front bar all the way, which will make that three inches closer to 1 inch

2 Likes

Well, I feel better than I did the moment it occurred to me that I might have installed the rails backward!

My flattening went just fine after aligning the usable bed area (config) and the job size. This bed is quite large for my needs, so I’m fine with losing a few inches. Just glad to be able to better understand the nature.

Thanks guys!