How to Export from Carveco Maker to my OF Woodworker machine?

Hey there, I’m new to this and trying to get underway. I got Carveco Maker and have done many tutorials online and on YouTube on using the software. #JamesDeanDesings is excellent and all.

But I am confused about the most important part. Once I’ve completed everything (design and tool paths), what do I do next?

Do I have to export this to UGS and then save that to a specific file for my OF woodworker to read, or is there a better way to do this?

I welcome any direction, instruction, or resources anyone can share to point me in the right direction.

I keep hearing and seeing: .art .svg and .ngv
And quite frankly, I’m getting more frustrated and lost than when I started.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Emanuel! Once you create your toolpath in Carveco Maker, you click on Save Toolpaths and you will have a box appear on your screen. If you are using more than 1 tool, save different tools to separate files. I save my toolpaths on a usb flash drive. You have the option to search for a location to save in this open box. Also check in the machine file format at the bottom of this open box for Onefinity *ngc inch or mm, your choice.
When you create a model and save it, then it is .art.
Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Neil

2 Likes

Hi Neil.
Thanks for the info. What you’ve just shared has made everything much clearer and concise. You should be the one posting all these tutorials. :wink:

One more question: when you say save each tool separately, does that mean I have to finish the tool path, then home and zero everything out all over again before I load and play the second tool?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Hi Emanuel,
Glad I could be of some help. In the same box that you save your toolpath in, if you check on the left side there is a spot to check for add home move at end of files. I have that checked and the machine returns to where you had your x,y,z zeroed for the carve. You can then raise you Z and do a bit change and re-zero Z on the material you are carving. I will open my next toolpath file and zero x&y without moving them at this point. Any questions, feel free to pm me or just reply here.

Cheers & Good Luck!

2 Likes

Check out around 31:00 of this video. Ultimate Beginner's Guide: Tool Pathing - YouTube

2 Likes

Thank you all for the info. It’s getting me closer and closer.

Today I hit a hurdle. I bought some files from two moose CNC, and their flattening file was svg. And my carveco maker won’t play nice. ;-//

It won’t open the file, and I’m not sure if it’s me and my inexperience and ignorance or if I didn’t do something right, or if it’s not me, just the software.
:pensive:

How To #svg Troubleshooting (X35/X50)

You don’t open a .svg, you import it.

2 Likes

Thank you. Your response was extremely instructional, helpful, and useful. So much that I went from newbie to expert.
:roll_eyes:

1 Like

An .svg is just a scaleable vector graphic. What he means is that you don’t “open” the file with Carveco. What you want to do is go into Carveco, and “import” the .svg file you would like to work with. From there you can adjust it’s size or even add more .svg files. It all depends on what kind of project you are working on.

Try checking out https://learn.carveco.com/ for some short video tutorials.

Most of them are under 5 minutes and can be watched at 1.25 or even 1.5 speed fairly easily. It should have most of what you need to get started.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! This is very helpful!