Journeyman elite {stiffy}?

I have a journeyman x50 how is the x rail different from the elite series stiffy?

Given the modular nature of the Onefinity machines, I would be surprised if they are different. We will find out shortly… :grinning:

They are the same rail. You can order a stiffy for your x-50 if you’d like.

3 Likes

i have the regular x50 journeyman i thought the "stiffy was not required on the x50 but the Stiffy is the third rail on the elite? why is it needed?I thought the x 50 was the best? so you are saying the x50 with the stiffy is the strongest not the x 50?

The stiffy is not required on any machine.
It is a completely optional item that provides even more stiffness, if you feel you need/want it.

Why is it ‘needed’?
It’s not, unless you think it is.

Rigidity:
Less stiff <------------------>More Stiff
x35< x35 w/stiffy = x50 < X50 w/stiffy

2 Likes

ok now I understand so when i upgrade I will basically trade everything but the probe and accessories to get the biggest and the best journeyman you have.
thank you

About to push the buy button on a journeyman. Same question. What is the stiffy? How much rigidity does it add? I mill a lot of hard woods and was very disappointed with my first cnc due to its lack of rigidity. I got what i paid for I suppose. It could not possibly keep up with the recommended feed rates using the best Amana tools.
This one is 3X the price without the stiffy.

Hey Thomas,

the “Stiffy” is this.

Note that on X-50 rails (unlike on X-35 rails), the third “stiffy” rail is not in line with the two others, as to be seen here, so attaching a Z assembly on the front and one at the back of the X carriage as well is no more possible if you add the stiffy (it isn’t anyway if you add a drag chain there)

This has been discussed but there is no final answer. Use the search function to find the discussions.

1 Like

@TMToronto has done some amazing tests on rigidity of the stiffy. Perhaps he can share his findings here?

I have an original Woodworker that I upgraded to an X50, then I recently purchased and installed the 3rd rail. I did some testing of rigidity using my dial test indicator at three locations and applying force (0-50N) in both the X and Y directions.

Below is one example of a scatter plot that I used to visualize the results. It shows the deflection in microns at the bottom of the Z assembly, when the spindle is in the middle of travel on all axes with motors powered. NOTE: the Y is without 3rd rail, Y+ is with 3rd rail, and Y+h is the same test but the spindle/z assembly is at the home position - front left of table).

I am not sure which feeds and speeds you were referring to for the Amana end mill, but everything I have read says that the parameters published by end mill manufacturers are for ideal MMR, and not reflective of results obtained on a CNC router.

2 Likes

Exactly what I needed. Thank you for taking the time.

1 Like

The other results I have for all test locations and both X and Y force directions show the same trend - all deflections are reduced (~ 25-60%) when the 3rd rail is added.

3 Likes

Right. I was looking for the value of the addition. I do inlays and precision is important for larger ones. I think it will be worth them $. Where did you apply the load? Bit tip or router bit holder/head, or other? Sorry ME here.

No ME apologies needed - my brain tends to head that way anyway.

The test result I provided had my digital force meter pushing against the very bottom middle of the front of the Z assembly (in line with the bottom ball screw bearing. I indicated off the back of the the Z assembly.

The greatest deflection, as I expected, was closer to the endmill - see below.

In this test I pushed against the end mill shaft right at the collet using the ‘V’ adapter of the force meter. I use an ATC with ISO20 tool holders. This test placed the force approximately 13 cm below the midpoint of the 80 mm spindle mount. I placed the indicator at the very bottom of my spindle which placed it approximately 3 cm above where the force was applied (~10 cm below mount midpoint). I did my best to place the indicator opposite to where the force was applied, and perpendicular to the ‘imagined’ tangent line directly opposite the application of force - not ideal, but acceptable in my mind for my comparison tests.

I plan to repeat the tests again with a new Z assembly and double spindle mount I am designing and will mill on my Woodworker. I have started milling aluminum first with my machine, as I felt it the greater test compared to wood. With conservative feeds and speeds, and appropriate toolpaths (including spring/finishing passes) I have been quite successful in producing parts to good tolerances. If interested, here is a link to my YT channel which shows some of this work - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNODaFn5oxJbaxJ85A2C5Hg

NOTE: for the Y+h+low, the low indicates that for this test I lowered my spindle to its lowest possible Z height.

1 Like

Thank you for all the info. REALLY appreciate it. I subscribed to your YT channel as well.

Happy to share.

Thank you for subscribing. I am finishing some machining of Christmas projects, and should be back to adding some content in the New Year.