Lots of Wonderful Signs...has anyone used their CNC for something other than signs?

Door panel raising would never have crossed my mind as a use.

Is the woodworker big enough, or do you need the journeyman?

1 Like

Been using mine for guitar builds and loving it. Software has been Carbide Create Pro but may be adding Rhino to the mix.

25 Likes

Wow, those are beautiful. Makes everything I make look like kids stuff.

1 Like

The guitars look stunning. I assume they’re for clients, or can one not have too many guitars? :grin:. The use of the onefinity is good, but I’m particularly impressed by the finish on those woods. What’s your process and materials? And so they stay true (bends and bows)?

Here’s a couple of clocks I made on my old (non 1f) machine. My new Machinist (when it arrives) should greatly improve the precision and allow more complexity.

Maya

9 Likes

Interesting that can be achieved with a bit of wood.

They look complicated, are they?

How are they powered?

All for clients. A lot of the finishes are a mixture of Poly and Mineral Spirits and whipped on (lots of coats with sanding in between). Use all high-end hardware (Hipshot, Sperzel, Graphtech, etc). Woods for bodies are various from Alder, Basswood, Poplar, Cypress, and Spanish Cedar. The tops are usually Zebrawood, Burl Maple, Paduak, Sapele, etc… Pickups are Seymour’s in most.

2 Likes

And I have been doing pickup etching using a drag bit.

“Drag bit etching”. Same here; I’ve been giving it a go, but on my desktop CNC (I’m waiting for my onefinity to arrive - over a month late now :worried:.

I’d be interested in your findings, perhaps in a different thread. I’ve been using Fusion 360 with some success after trial, error and googling. Winston Moy has done a couple of YouTube videos. I’ve been " dragging" on aluminium. The challenge for me is faking it with F360 - that’s using tool paths not meant for drag bit etching like pocket, parallel and profile. I’m pleased with the results.

I am curious if drag etching is any better than using a fine pointed diamond rotary bit. Do you like drag bits better?

Oh my, these are stunning guitars. VERY well done. Are you doing the necks on the CNC as well or ordering those? Do you have a site for your guitars, I’d love to look at the specs.

Hey Rob,

Do everything except winding my own pickups, which I might start before long. You can see more of my stuff at BcustomGuitars.com

3 Likes

Hey Alden,
These are diamond drag bits and are the only ones I’ve tried thus far. Seem to do a great job. Really fine point and the router isn’t active during the process, so I usually run these at night, without the fear of waking my neighbors.

1 Like

Just been using Carbide Create for mine, and yeah watched alot of YouTube to figure most out.

Awesome, I’ll check it out.

I checked out your site, these are really fine works of art!

Thanks my friend, been working at it…

1 Like

Here is one I just finished.

6 Likes

How did the panel raising go?

These are beautiful! Are plans available?

Jim