Lots of Wonderful Signs...has anyone used their CNC for something other than signs?

Jim, here is the site where the plans can be found:
https://www.lisaboyer.com/Claytonsite/Claytonsite1.htm

Most of Clayton’s designs are available in dxf, and are sent by email immediately after ordered. Clayton’s a great guy, very prompt and generous with his advice. I can also highly recommend his e-books as a place to start if you decide to make a clock. I’d love to see more clockmakers on this site! ~Mike

5 Likes

Agree; I have one of his easy clocks to try. The ebook is very informative and understandable.

Which one, Andy? I just finished a Genesis for a client. He loves it! It was all CNC cut.

5 Likes

That’s the one. Looks fantastic—a cracking job.

Oh boy, too many project ideas, I need to focus :blush:.

As yours look so great, would you mind sharing your choice of timber and finish? In its construction, any tips on bits used?

In the same horological vein, I plan to make a vertical sundial in brass. I’m checking out diamond drag bit engraving at the moment (more tolerant of surface undulations which are inevitable in large brass sheets without surfacing). It’s very effective for quick Aluminium labels (my initial practice material)

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words, Andy. For a propeller-head such as myself, nothing beats the first time one nudges the pendulum and watches the clock start for the first time!
Hardwood or Baltic Birch plywood works for the frame; everything else is Baltic Birch plywood. The Genesis was cut out with a 1/8" straight upcut bit. Before cutting, the wood had a water based stain applied, followed by gloss poly. It’s important that the teeth remain unfinished, as the extra drag from friction will prevent the clock from running.
Sundials are fascinating projects, I’ve made one or two. I’d love to have one here, but there’s no sun due to lots of trees. I’ve found that it’s worth doing extensive research before embarking on the project, as they need to be tailored to your specific latitude if they are to work properly. Do keep us posted, please! ~Mike

2 Likes

I have a super book by Albert E Waugh.

1 Like

I have his book as well. You’re in good hands.

2 Likes

Thanks, Michael!

Jim

Jim, this discussion motivated me to dig out my plans for Nicholas Kratzer’s Polyhedral Sundial. I got them from Camden Miniature Steam Services in the UK many years ago, and they are still in the cat
!alog. It was built for Henry VIII. I think it would make a great and quite unusual CNC project! ~Mike

Kratzer Sundial|331x499

2 Likes

It is interesting what you learn from forums.

I’ve tried to look it up on the tinternet. But I couldn’t find anything useful describing its working purpose. Looks a bit like a cross between a butter churn and a sundial.

It would be great to see the modern take on it.

1 Like

According to the plans, Kratzer built it to show that a sundial could work in any orientation. One of the dials will always be accurate, or as accurate as a sundial can be. Here’s a perspective drawing of it, and a picture of one built in brass. This would be a great project for a CNC in brass using a drag bit.
Kratzer Sundial2

4 Likes

It is an excellent demonstration piece. I’m planning on a trip to Oxford where I believe the museum has one of his pieces.

I’ve been distracted with my vertical wall hanging sundial in getting the design right, which I’m doing in f360. The distraction is I’ve decided to have a go at writing a script that draws a sketch of the lines (well, triangles/rays for enclosed paths up to a boundary) for any declination, wall angle and latitude. There are online calculators for me to draw one by hand, but I’ve always fancied scripting in F360 and drawing closed paths for engraving to a boundary is a fag. Besides, the walk to the shed is a bit chilly at the moment, scripting I can do indoors.

1 Like

Yes, my information is that his 1525 Polyhedral Sundial is on exhibit at the Museum of the History of Science in Oxford. How I envy you your wonderful UK museums! I’d certainly appreciate any pictures or other information that might be available, I might build it yet. I’m still thinking about a replica of Harrison’s H1 chronometer that I saw in Greenwich.
~Mike

1 Like

I have your post bookmarked for Jan 2022; I will see what I can do.

A Harrison clock - your ambition exceeds my own.

Longitude: a good read.

So this guy may be the epitome of using a 3 axis CNC to make something other than signs: CNC carving a Xenomorph alien with the Shapeoko XXL - YouTube

3 Likes

An impressive piece of work. Quite the demonstration of methodical working, patience and innovative thinking.

I haven’t drummed up the courage to do a flip carve; he did so many.

I’ve not used epoxy and enjoyed the tip on how to prevent leakage when filling cavities and the tip on joining epoxy layers.

Thank you for sharing.

I don’t understand how slicing of the xenomorph allows cutting “hollow” parts of the surface of the model. Wouldn’t one need to carve from the side any feature that is concave? An incredibly powerful tool like meshmixer could probably orient the model in space to minimize the uncuttable features but you might need 1000 slices not 10 or 20 right?

I didn’t catch that bit. I thought the thickness of the timber primarily drove slicing.

I posted the train table I made for my nephew elsewhere. But I’ve made a few projects that are not signs.

This cat food perch to keep the dog from fattening himself for winter.

This puzzle.

This replaced monogrammed lid for a 100 year old cedar chest.

And some hobby horses

And a nativity set

10 Likes

I could do with opposite for our cat; he seems to lard out in the winter, much like me.

3 Likes